Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Babe with the Power

Well, to absolutely no one's surprise, I went overboard on our Halloween costumes this year (again).

I did much better with starting earlier this year, but was still VERY grateful they cancelled the Stake service activity from 9-2 that morning.  Otherwise Jon would have been without a hat, and I would be without a wig.  

I now present the Blood Family Halloween Costumes for 2011:
Here we have the following:
The Wiseman and the Hat (the top is cut off), the Labyrinth Worm (without his scarf),
Jareth the Goblin King, and Toby

Let me just add that prior to the party that night, Catherine was in full character as Toby, the whiny baby.  I was ready to send her to the Goblin King myself.

Except I was the Goblin King, and I didn't want her.
Luckily she calmed down and was great for the trunk or treat.

A better picture of the hat, but the Worm had run off to stuff his face with more doughnut holes:

And now a few pictures from someone with a better camera than mine:
Me & Tracie
(many, many thanks to the amazing Mary Ann for the wig.  David Bowie would be proud)

Jon, in all his glory:

Obviously these costumes were a bit of work.  I borrowed Catherine's from a friend in the ward (easy), commissioned the multi-talented Lenae to help me with (read: make) Seth's costume, and took care of Jon's and mine by myself (with the exception of my wig, which required professional assistance).

I'm pretty darn proud of how they turned out.
Especially Jon's.  

We've actually been wanting to do this theme for a couple of years now, but last year I was pregnant.  While David Bowie was surely bending the gender line in the movie, a pregnant David Bowie would have been going just a little too far.  So we held off.  

And no, I didn't even think about the fact that I was cross-dressing at a church function.  
As Jon said, "It's not really crossing the genders.  It's more like un-crossing them."
Amen.

Catherine's favorite part of the whole deal?  The bird hat.

Seriously.

She LOVED it.  If she saw it sitting around, she would smile, sing, and shriek until we let her touch it:

And now, for your information (if you still have no idea what our costumes are) 
or for your entertainment (if you're jealous you didn't think of these yourself),
some videos from Labyrinth:

Seth's character--the Labyrinth Worm:

Jon's character--the Wiseman and the Hat

And mine & Catherine's, David Bowie as Jareth, the Goblin King with Toby:

High-quality entertainment.
Go rent it now.





7 comments:

AZ Mikesells said...

Great movie review too :) I need to watch it again.

Ali said...

You are so talented!

Kellie said...

Possibly your best costumes yet - we definitely approve!

Sommer said...

That was epic. Seriously how do you top that???? YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!

Adrian said...

I always love finding out what you guys dressed up as. :) The bird hat is the best!!

The Pierce Family said...

Loved the costumes!! I can't wIt to see what you think of for next year. And seriously, how could you put the most unattractive picture of me on your blog? I look like a dwarf Medusa with horrid posture! Thank goodness most people are mesmerized by your amazing costume and fail to notice my hunched over horridness.

HeavenlyHome said...

Ummmmm....no words. Cause my mouth is still hanging open in utter disbelief at your awesomeness! Dang girl, you're good!