Wednesday, September 19, 2012

That one time...

...we went to the beach with 20 mph winds:

Let's just say we were desperate--this was our third attempt to get to the beach this year,
and all had been foiled by bad weather.  We were determined.


Just so you know, that is not a good idea.  

You think sand gets everywhere when you go to the beach?
Add wind and it seriously does get EVERYWHERE.  
My diaper bag and purse looked like I dumped a cup of sand inside.

But if we stayed by the water, where the sand was wet, it was a lovely day: 

Seth was in absolute heaven, especially when Daddy built him towers for the water to destroy: 
(the sand in Atlantic City is nasty and black, FYI)

Our family had a blast.

The Oliveras (who came with us) didn't do so well--turns out Emma was coming down with RSV and had a fever (don't worry--Seth, Catherine & I all got it a few days later).  So not much fun for them.

Oh, and did I mention the part where I didn't put sunscreen on anyone because I knew it would just attract blowing sand?  Genius, I tell you.  Luckily Jon, Seth & I kept shirts on, and Catherine somehow won the genetic lottery with naturally tanning skin.  Still--all four of us had some uncomfortable days after we got home.  Not making that mistake again.

Our first and last beach trip of the year--success?

3 comments:

Adrian said...

well, at least you went. :) I love the sunscreen anecdote.

AZ Mikesells said...

Ouch - sand and burn... How'd you keep the sand out of your eyes?

Kellie said...

Did you go last weekend? We went too! It was windy where we were, but I think you got the worst of it.