Thursday, March 10, 2022

Giant Man Child

Seth is listed in my phone contacts as "Giant Man Child."  He's maybe an inch away from being the same height as Jon. He can wear Jon's pants. I'm not sure if he's actually done growing, but either way he'll be plenty tall as an adult. And he's not even 14 yet! 

And yes, still the humor of a 13 year old boy.
This was a cute Catherine illustration until Seth came around...

Seth got some really, really exciting news this month. Last year we were looking into options for high school. I discovered a local magnet program run by Oracle called ITOA (Information Technology Oracle Academy). After we did a bit of research, Seth fell totally in love. I had him tour the local high school as well as ITOA just to be sure he was making an informed choice. Well, the local school felt like a cinderblock prison and the ITOA school is brand new and has giant, floor-to-ceiling windows. No competition there! Plus we happened to run into the director of the ITOA program as we were touring the school. He was absolutely fantastic and everything Seth would love in a teacher. After that visit, we were both 100% in. 

But he still had to apply. And it's weird with homeschooing because, yes, I can (and did) make him a transcript. But how much weight does that carry? So he also took his first standardized test since 3rd grade just so we could have some impartial results to back up his transcript. He also had to write an application letter and submit a list of activities he's involved in. It felt like applying to college. 

I wasn't that worried. The director told us that basically anyone who wanted to get in has been accepted to the program in the past years. But it all depended on whether more kids were applying and how qualified they were. Seth was worried he could be waitlisted and then have to see if there was a spot available. 

His other concern was his friends. Jack and Gabe also applied. What if they didn't get in or were waitlisted? He decided he would attend no matter what, but it would break his heart if they didn't go as well. 

Well, miracle of miracles, ALL THREE BOYS got in! No waitlisting or anything! I'm so proud of Seth for working hard and for doing what it took to get into this program. We're so excited for the fall!
A very pleased Seth

I was so excited when they finally managed to get us a youth temple trip date that I volunteered to go before looking at the date and realizing it was Catherine's birthday. It was a completely insane day, but I'm glad I was able to go with Seth. I got to be the one with the clipboard making sure everyone was ready to go at the correct time, which was a little stressful since I can't remember the last time I did youth baptisms. But it all worked out, plus we were able to baptize and confirm a bunch of names that my mom found from our family! 

Bishop made sure that the priests had the opportunity to baptize some of the youth. It was a really cool experience for me to watch. I've known these boys basically their entire lives. You see them at church and they're just kind of goofy. But down in that font I could see the men they are growing to be. And it won't be long before Seth is in that position. 
(Seth is 3rd from left, I'm 3rd from right)
Please note that he is taller than almost everyone there, including leaders.
And that Spencer (behind him) actually has bigger hair than Seth.

Seth is at this really cool stage between kid and adult. Sometimes it's hilarious, sometimes it's obnoxious, sometimes it's terrifying. But I'm grateful for his good, kind heart. I know he has some hard things ahead, but also some of the very best parts of his life ahead. I just can't believe he's already this old! 

0 comments: