This is for you, Amber, Precious. And you, Christine. Oh, and Ms. Hanamaika'i--my invite to your blog has expired. Whatever that means.
6 things you probably don't know about me:
1). I can't sleep unless I am in my "cocoon" (Jon's name for it). This involves me wrapping my blanket around my body so that no air can get in. I especially have to make sure that my neck and ear are covered. I think this goes back to my younger days when I thought the monsters couldn't get me if I was entirely covered up. Except my face. That just makes me feel like I'm suffocating (which apparently was more of a threat than the monsters because my face always remained uncovered).
2). I'm super paranoid that I'm getting a double chin. In fact, I've even given up eating Ranch dressing for the most part (I'm sure my mother is dying of shock). And don't any of you send me these nice little notes saying how skinny I am. Skinny or not, I deleted 85% of my pictures from Chicago because I looked like I had a double chin. Basically this means eating more spinach salads for lunch and less mashed potatoes for breakfast.
3). I have a strange dearth of maternal instincts. I have had exactly one baby-hungry moment in my entire life. I also make newborns cry just by touching them. And yes, Sister Beck's talk did make me feel guilty.
4). When I have long fingernails I can't stand the touch of paper. It gives me the creeps. Short fingernails? No problem. I also can't stand touching wet popsicle sticks. Blech.
5). I'm a total book snob. I won't read it unless it comes from a highly trusted/recommended source (meaning Lynda) and I won't touch anything that Oprah has plastered her name all over. I refused to buy 100 Years of Solitude because it had her name on the cover (I read a different edition later). Just for the record--loved Harry Potter, barely tolerated the first book of Twilight and will not read any of the rest of them. Sorry girls.
6). My mom once described me as a "renaissance woman." Basically this means I can competently participate in a variety of activities without actually excelling at any of them. I can play sports, paint, sculpt, decorate cakes, fix appliances & vacuums, speak Spanish, cook, write papers, clean, sing, play the piano/organ and sometimes beat Jon at Mario Kart. Can I do any of those things really well? No. The last award I got was for writing a story in 4th grade. Oh, actually I think our soccer team took third in 7th grade, but that was because there were only three teams.
And now 6 for Jonny (this is his blog too, allegedly):
1). Jon can't talk on the phone without pacing around the room. Nor can he sit still without flipping his pen, chapstick, or wedding ring. This makes life exciting when I'm trying to take a nap in the basement and he's pacing around our squeaky living room.
2). He's anti-cinnamon. He claims that it's "overused." This has put quite a damper on my snickerdoodle making.
3). When Jonny is bored at work (a.k.a. when Jonny is at work) he entertains himself by writing Excel programs to solve the peg game from Cracker Barrell and teaching himself programming languages. I married the ultimate nerd.
4). Jonny is a very good writer. I know the assumption is that engineer=inability to write a legible paper, but Jonny somehow figured out how to make it work. I think it has a lot to do with his brilliant English major older sister.
5). The boy can dance. I don't know where he got it from, but it still gives me a good laugh. My personal favorite is the Texarkana "Dishwasher Dance."
6). When he gets angry or frustrated he gets itchy and starts scratching his scalp vehemently. This is generally how I know when to turn off Mario Kart or stop mocking him when I'm trashing him at Sorry.
By the way, we are having a wonderful time in Hurricane, WV. I have the best in-laws! Oh, and there aren't any pictures because I still haven't put everything back on my lappy. Stupid virus...
Monday, November 19, 2007
Okay, okay...
at 7:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Megan, your comment about giving up ranch dressing reminds me of the time we went to Denny's in Provo at like 6 am to eat chicken fingers with lots of ranch dressing after crawling through the caves all night with strange boys. Hehe those were the days...
I just have to tell you that you are absolutely silly about the whole double chin thing. I'm sure you were just pulling funny faces (like usual) in which case any one would appear to have a double chin. Just hold your head up, smile, and enjoy the ranch dressing!
I've been to Hurricane--that's where Kurt's old mission president lives! The Heywoods... they probably know your in-laws. They're awesome people.
You're still as pyscho as ever, and I couldn't be more proud!
I just sent you an email to calabasa. I hope that's still the address. If not, please tell me!
Btw, I've witnessed the cocoon first hand. Yup, it's pretty weird. But oddly enough, you're not my first roommate to do that... my roommate at my writing summer camp thing in high school did that too... and she was in the fetal position. Anyhow.
Two comments:
1. I think the lack of maternal instinct and your phobia of double chins are connected. Baby weight is hard to lose.
2. Having your own kids awakens all kind of instincts you didn't know you had. Including maternal and occasionally violent.
3. You did marry the ultimate nerd. But isn't he funny? Since this is nominally his blog too, tell him I miss him in the carpool.
Jonny definitely gets the head scratching thing from my dad. We always used to make fun of my dad for it, I had no idea Jonny inherited it!
Post a Comment