Jon's workload decreased significantly once the part broke. He went to the barracks for three hours on Thursday (15th), and not at all on Friday (16th). I was thrilled to pieces, because that meant he got to hang out with me!
These crabs were all along the pier on Waikiki. I actually found them quite disgusting--like giant, black spiders.
Since Jon didn't have to go into work on Friday, we figured it was the perfect day to hike Diamond Head. If you look at the mountains on the right side of this picture, Diamond Head is the crater you can see sticking up. We were warned in advance that there was basically no shade on the hike, so we decided to get an early start.
As in a 4:30 am early start. Granted, this is 10:30 am Maryland time, but it still felt early. We were out the door by 5:30 am to begin the 3.5 mile walk TO THE TRAILHEAD. That's right--we walked almost four miles just so we could hike a 1.6 mile trail. And, of course, it was slightly uphill the entire way.
We reached the trailhead at 6:30 am and began the .8 mile hike to the top. Luckily there was some sort of wind tunnel going through the crater or I would have died from the heat. Well, actually, it was the humidity that really got me. It may only have been 85 degrees out there, but it felt a LOT hotter than that.
The hike itself wasn't too bad, although I did have to take a few breaks (I was almost 31 weeks pregnant--cut me some slack). The switchbacks, while obnoxious, didn't really get to me. And then I saw these:
Sadly for all of you, I don't have a picture of me or Jon attempting to make it through the crawlspace that leads to the top. Picture this: Diamond Head was once used as a military installation. The peak, where we now were, was a sort of bunker. People in bunkers don't want to get hit by artillery, so they have small spaces to crawl in and out of. As in 3.5 feet off the ground, and about 2 feet high. Now imagine me, with a 31 week pregnant belly, crawling through this hole. Like I said, it's just too bad for all of you that I don't have pictures.
We were actually kind of disappointed by the view at the top. We happened to pick a day with bad vog (volcano haze), so we didn't get the spectacular view we anticipated. There were still some good shots, but we couldn't see clear across the island. By the way, you are all extremely lucky to be seeing this picture. I look absolutely disgusting, but I wanted to prove that I did it.
The way down was much easier (minus the part where I had to crawl back INTO the crawlspace). As a testament to my continuing pregnancy stupidity, Jon noticed that I no longer had my visor or sunglasses. I, of course, had absolutely no memory of taking them off or putting them down anywhere. We checked every possible place I could have left them, but to no avail. I can only hope someone out there is now enjoying my sweaty visor and glasses as much as I did.
After the hike, I managed to get Jon down to the beach, which is a much harder task than one would expect. The water felt fabulous on our feet, and we managed to escape with only slight sunburns, thanks to the purchase of an $8 beach umbrella at Wal-Mart. Needless to say, we slept REALLY well that night. Good thing, too, as it was our last night in our nice hotel. Let's just say that I didn't sleep that well again until we got home.
More to come. I'll leave you with a picture of these sweet trees that were all over the place. If only pregnant ladies were better tree-climbers...
7 comments:
Wow, that's awesome you hiked all that pregnant! Good on ya, girl. And did you count those stairs? Or were there signs at the bottoms saying, "You're about to climb 99 stairs"?
I am impressed with you, Megan! I don't know if I would attempt a hike like that, and I'm only 24 weeks! Good for you! And your belly is so small and cute--you have not gained weight anywhere else. You look great!
You are crazy, but a rock star. Were people gaping at you and saying how cool you are??
They have Wal-Marts in Hawaii? Surely the end of the world is near. You're amazing to have made that hike seven months pregnant!
Happy Birthday Megan! I hope you have had a wonderful day pampering yourself. I'm glad you guys had a grand ole' time in Hawaii.
And happy birthday to Jon tommorrow...right?
Good job surviving the hike. I get to do the stairs by the JSB once a week so I can sympathize a bit I think doing it in the humidity would make it pretty rough. Has the heat started affecting you yet?
The belly pic you posted makes it look like you just stuck a basketball under your shirt. You've done well not bulking up all over the place. Congrats!
Oh, and happy birthday one day late! I thought about you yesterday but didn't get a chance to email you or anything. Sorry. Hopefully Jon made it a great one!
Post a Comment