Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sunday, May 11

Continuing directly from my previous post...

Sunday afternoon was fabulous. We spent the afternoon on the beach, reading and playing in the water. I felt slightly guilty for missing church, but Jon quickly pointed out that we didn't have our clothes in time for church anyway. Yay for valid excuses.

The water here is gorgeous--blue and clear (not to mention incredibly warm). After spending all my beach time in Southern California, however, I was thrown off by a few things. First, the water is extremely shallow. We were out pretty far from the beach and were still only up to our waists. Second, the waves on Waikiki are crappy. Apparently they're better on the North Shore, but the odds of us getting out there are slim (no car). Third, you have to watch your step. There are giant patches of rugged coral/rocks waiting for you to gash your foot on them. Or your toe, like Jon did. A very kid friendly beach, as Aunt Lori said (as long as you keep them away from the rocks).

Later that evening, however, we reaped the consequences of our actions. As a redhead, I've had more than my fair share of serious sunburns. As my mom pointed out before we left, the last thing I needed was to be pregnant AND burnt. Thus, I was religious about my sunscreen application. I covered myself from head to toe--literally (I put sunscreen on the part of my hair)--with SPF 45. I also wore a wifebeater over my swimsuit and a visor at all times. Jon wasn't as worried as I was, but I still made him put on sunscreen. And we both reapplied after an hour out there. Unfortunately, we missed some spots. Well, Jon missed his legs and feet entirely. These pictures don't do justice to the painful red coloring we've acquired (although you can kind of see my awesome cankles). And they were taken two days after the fact. We broke the Sabbath and bought some much-needed aloe.

Bedtime is early for us (8 pm) because Jon has to be up at 4 am and out the door by 5 am. Luckily the fan in our room drowns out the sounds of the elevator right next to our bedroom. I don't think I'm going to be happy going home to our queen-sized bed after two weeks in a king-sized.

More tomorrow. If I feel like it.

2 comments:

AnnEE said...

Two weeks??? YOU'RE IN HAWAII FOR TWO WEEKS? Wow. I'm so jealous! I also feel really sad for your little piggies (toes). You are too cute. I'd like to see pictures of your adorable self!!

uptown said...

I can totally relate to the burns. Hawai'i has hot sun! I have never blistered in my entire life until I went to Hawai'i and I blistered both times, even with sunscreen. Plus, Kam, who has never burned in his entire life refused to use very much sunscreen because he though he was invincible. Unfortunately, I have never seen anyone peel as badly as Kam peeled after his treacherous burn. It was pretty reisty.