From that point on, I saw a lot of Jon Blood. A LOT. (And he was referred to as 'Jon Blood', not 'Jon'). His friendship with Lynda soon became a friendship with all 6 of us. It wasn't long before we had ourselves an apartment boyfriend--a guy who everyone in the apartment likes, but no one likes, who is at your apartment all the time fixing your computers, talking to you about boy issues, and eating all your leftovers. That was Jon.
I couldn't have set up the situation better if I'd tried. The first time you meet a guy (if you're single, and especially at BYU), your thoughts eventually stray towards "Could I see myself dating this guy?" If the answer is yes, (and you're like me), then things can be awkward right from the start.
There was no awkwardness with Jon because I wasn't even thinking about whether I could date him. He was chasing another girl in the ward, plus one of my friends had a crush on him (which made him officially untouchable). At the same time, I was crushing on a boy at another school. Our friendship was strictly platonic, and there's no better way to start a relationship than with a solid friendship.
Jon, Lynda & I spent a lot of time just hanging out. Our apartment liked hanging out with their apartment, so we saw a lot of each other. I remember him body-checking me at a ward ice-skating party and then trying to teach me to spin on ice skates. I teased him about his dates with the girl in our ward, and he teased me about the guy in our ward who liked me (I was definitely not interested).
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Part 2: The Apartment Boyfriend
at 9:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's funny you guys called him Jon Blood, growing up we always called him Jonny Blood! I can't remember anyone just calling him Jon.
I'm totally loving this mini-series saga thing you've got going on about how you met. Can't you just hear the radio announcer guy going: "Tune in next week for part 3, 'Oops, I think I fell in love with the apartment boyfriend!' Dun dun dun..."
Hehe. I'm on pins and needles to find out how this ends!
This is sooooo fun! I love reading your story! You should write a book!
Post a Comment