Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter and a Checkup

Our Easter was fairly mild--just church (where I survived my much-stressed-about Young Women's lesson on 'Patriarchal Leadership in the Home') and then Seth's Easter basket when he woke up from his nap (thank you, Mom, for providing Seth with an Easter basket and Jon & me with Easter candy). Obviously he's still too little to get much excitement out of it, but he did enjoy banging the eggs together and throwing his book around. He didn't enjoy having his basket on his head, but Jon & I did.

Seth and his loot (and no, the Cadbury Cream Eggs aren't his. He just likes banging them together).
"These are my eggs."
"What the...Puffs?! Where's the candy?!"
"Oh yes, very clever, Mom."
"Get it off, get it off, get it off, get it off..."
Seth never puts things in his mouth, so I thought it was safe to give him the Cadbury eggs to play with. Apparently he's no fool. He used those two little teeth to scrape through the foil and taste the chocolaty goodness before I snatched them away.
"I must dedicate all my intellectual resources to the study of this great tome."
Seth & I enjoying the niceish weather. I look good in this picture, but Seth's not looking...
...and Seth looks good in this one, but I look like a dork. Jon didn't want to take pictures with Seth. Killjoy.
Seth had his 9 month appointment yesterday, which thankfully didn't involve any shots. He officially weighed in at 19.46 pounds and is 29 inches long (goodbye, infant carseat). He didn't gain nearly as much weight as I anticipated. His pediatrician said it was no cause for concern--most babies slow down their gain between 6 and 9 months because they've become mobile.

Except Seth's not mobile (unless you count his walker). The kid still doesn't even roll over. Dr. Chasnow was not so happy to hear that. So now I have to start giving Seth 3 solid meals a day, and Seth has to get some baby physical therapy. He's definitely making progress, but he either has no desire, or no idea how, to get up on his knees. Dr. Chasnow thinks he's just stubborn or lazy (or both), but thinks it's best to have him get some therapy anyway. Infants and Toddlers, here we come...

Personally, I think he's just stubborn. He has other things to do, and crawling is not one of them. But hey, if it's free, there's no harm done. And now we can pester him for the rest of his life about having to go to baby therapy...

(Oh, and I'm really not starving my baby. I forgot to mention to the pediatrician that Seth refused to eat for almost 3 weeks while he was teething. He was even skimping on his nursing. Thus the minimal weight gain. Not my fault--you can bring the food to the baby, but no stinking way are you making him eat when he doesn't want to).

2 comments:

Mike and Anna said...

Your little man sounds like hes a funny guy! Jeremy is stubborn and lazy too! My mom said i was the same way. However, this past week he is more interested in being mobile! I entice him with graduate puffs and yogurt melts! Good luck with baby physical therapy!

Adrian said...

Oooh, baby therapy! Sounds like fun. I'm very impressed that he's outgrown his infant seat at nine months. It took Max almost a year!! I love all those pictures. What sweet round cheeks he's got!