Friday, April 3, 2009

Sucked In

I have a confession to make.

For two full days this week I neglected my husband, son, and chores. And I'm embarrassed to tell you why.

Here goes...

(buries head in shame)

I am a book snob, as I've mentioned a few times in the past. And as any legitimate snob will tell you, we snobs hate to admit that we like the same things as the majority. To put it more succinctly, popular=bad.

So a year and a half ago when my friend Mindy mentioned the Twilight books to me and how all these girls (and married women) were going nuts about them, I instantly decided that I could never like these books.

Nevertheless, I didn't want to give an official opinion without having read at least one. So Mindy let me borrow Twilight. And I read it. I think I may have stayed up way too late so I could finish it. And when I was done, I returned it to her with my official opinion: "Meh. It was okay."

Mindy, I must apologize. I LIED. That book sucked me in like a Hoover. But I couldn't admit that I actually liked the book--that would undermine all my alleged authority in the area of literature. So I refused to read the rest of the series (although I did get on Wikipedia and read the plot synopses, I confess). And I continued to inform anyone who asked that I had read the Twilight books and didn't like them. I felt superior--I was above the spell that had enchanted everyone else.

Then I saw the movie. Three times (and never by choice). And I was thinking that maybe the books weren't that bad. After all, I had read some pretty stupid books in my desperation for new material, why not give these another try?

I attempted to check them out from the library, only to be told I was #46 in line (the genius of requesting the books the week the movie was released). In desperation, I asked Kara if she had copies. Being a good book snob, she didn't, but she referred me to Sommer, who not only had them, but was literally THRILLED that I wanted to read them.

She handed me off the 4 books after Young Women on Sunday. By the time I got home from church, ate, and had Seth down for a nap, it was 1:30pm. By 2:00pm on Tuesday, I had read all four books. And I didn't even stay up past my bedtime reading (only because Jon wouldn't let me).

And guess what? I liked them. See, I admitted it. Are they the best thing I've ever read? Not even close. Would I define them as good literature? No--not even good young adult literature (Shannon Hale and Cynthia Voight are far superior). Do I have issues with the content, like Bella's age and Edward hanging out in her room all night, every night? Absolutely. But I still liked them. And I think the biggest reason is...(SPOILER ALERT--Stop reading right here, Aunt Lori!)

...that they end up married, with a baby, and they're HAPPY. Do you have any idea how rare that is in literature? Usually the novel begins with marriage and babies and then proceeds to describe how the characters are disillusioned by society's version of happiness. Well, you know what? I'm married, I have a baby, and I am happy. Not just content, I am HAPPY. And it's nice to see that happiness portrayed in fiction. So there.

Now excuse me while I go read some Tolstoy to atone for my transgression into popular literature.

12 comments:

Sommer said...

lol you are so funny!!!!! You also are such a fast reader! I'm so glad you liked them even if they weren't your favorite, I'm glad you gave them a chance!

Kristina said...

Haha, you make me laugh. I was reading somewhere someone saying that Stephenie Meyers is a good writer, and I'm like, "She's an awful writer." Ok, not awful, but definitely not very good.
But still, I really liked the books. I hate Bella. I hated the writing. Edward was annoying. But vampires are cool.

Megan Turnidge said...

OH NO!!! They sucked you in too??! lol

I refuse to read them. hehe

Spencer said...

So dies a literature snob in a weary world. We promise not to notice your misconduct. My brother (a bishop) has been asked, "Why are you okay with all the young women reading that trash" His response, "It is a book about how teenagers in love shouldn't have sex. Why should I be bothered they are reading it."

Christy said...

ROFLMBO.
HAhAHAHAHA. That is awesome! For real, they're guilty reads. Not good literature. But you can't put the blasted things down. I'm reading the fourth right now. Again. For the third time. Ughhh.

Rachel said...

Welcome in. From someone who adores good literature and a little literary junk food now and then.

Ali said...

This made my day!

Holly said...

That is so funny! I was totally against Twilight for awhile too, but then I started reading them while Tucker was in the NICU (it gave me something else to think about), and I was hooked. Funny--my 16 year old brother is an avid reader and was looking for something to read, so he borrowed my sister's copy of Twilight and eventually had all four books read by the end of the week. AND, my dad reads a lot too, and he just saw the movie last week with my mom, and now he wants to read them too! I keep trying to talk Curt into it, but I don't think he'll ever give in...! :)

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

I never thought I'd see the day. However, I think you (and all your other 'literary snob' friends)should just get it over with already and admit you are in love with Edward just like the rest of us.

AZ Mikesells said...

Your dad even liked the movie!!! Watched it on the New Jersey trip.

Tasty Tidbits said...

I am glad you liked them! I must say I read the first two before the big masses came and made the book all popular, so I don't consider myself a follower when it comes to these books. haha! I have NEVER been a reader, in fact I always hated it. My mom actually gave me the first one! I think it's funny. But yeah, still to this day, they are pretty much the only books I like. Sad, I know, but I haven't found anything else that can really keep my attention. haha I'm so horrible... :)

Kellie said...

The exact same thing happened to me. I refused to read them for a long time and then I got sucked it and couldn't put them down! Glad to hear I'm not the only one.