Saturday, February 6, 2010

Lookin' Out My Back Door

We thought the 6 inches of snow last weekend was impressive. And then the 5 inches on Tuesday. But even combined together, those two storms amounted to less than half of the snow we got today. Our official yardstick on the deck says 22 inches of snow, but there were deeper patches out front.

"Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn"This is Seth immediately after stepping off the front porch and into a snow drift.
He didn't think it was as funny as we did.


Our cul-de-sac, mid-blizzard:


Believe it or not, that is our car buried in that drift.


And that is our son, who is also buried in a snow drift.
(Okay, he's actually just walking between two drifts)


What do good parents do when they don't have a sled?
Rig up a white trash sled using Tupperware and a jump rope.
It worked pretty darn well, too.
Needless to say, we will be enjoying a churchless Sabbath tomorrow. And considering the two feet of snow still on the road, I'm hoping to enjoy a Jon-workless Monday, too.

10 comments:

Kellie said...

That is a lot of snow! We were hoping to get some, but didn't get any. Have fun and stay warm - and I seriously LOVE your sled!

AZ Mikesells said...

That is one impressive sled!!! I was wondering what the view was out your basement door under the deck.

Brian and Kenna said...

How fun! I am quite content with you guys getting all the snow and us getting about zero. :-)

Holly said...

Wow! I'm jealous. I would love some stay-at-home days. I haven't seen that much snow in a long time!

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

I wish we had an excuse for a stay at home day! I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed for this next hurricane season--okay, maybe not so much :D!

Jen Bowen said...

That's a lot of snow. I can't believe how covered your car is. I love Seth's facial expression in that first picture of him.

Adrian said...

I think you've gotten more snow than we have this winter, although we get actual precipitation more often.

I'll tell you a secret. The snow keeps coming because I'm supposed to do a big briefing to Dept of Army in DC, and I'm not ready for it, so it's divine intervention on my behalf. (Briefing was on Friday, cancelled because of snow, all govt offices in DC are closed today, more snow predicted for tonight.) I am SO SERIOUS. The fact that it gets you out of church is just a side benefit. :)

Alicia said...

Oh my goodness. This reminds me why I live in Arizona!

Jenessa said...

Megan, how do you make you blog look so cute?!
Looks like tons of fun in all of the snow! I don't think I would know what to do if it snowed that much around here!

Dawn said...

you have great pictures! Seth is so cute. I love how you impervised the sled. We have a toddler sled we could have lent you if I would have thought of it. Tristan is too small for it and Garrett too big. ;)