Monday, November 29, 2010

Why I Now Have Time to Blog

It happened as we were driving to the airport for our flight to Phoenix last week.  Jon's cell phone rings.  It's Bishop.  I answer, since Jon is driving and technically it's illegal here now.  Figuring it was just clerk stuff, I offer to have Jon call back when we get to the airport.

"No, that's okay.  I'll just talk to you."

And that's when I knew.  It's been two years since I was called into Young Women, and I knew this would happen soon.  With our president overwhelmed with little foster children coming into her home and me with a baby due in February, it was pretty obvious this was coming.  But it still broke my heart a little to hear the official words: "We're releasing you."

I've never had a calling like this before.  With Young Women you really do give your heart and soul (and lots and lots of your time) to the girls in your ward.  It's so hard to watch them struggle with all the horrible teenage problems that just seem to get worse with each generation.  But it's so amazing to see them stand strong despite the pressures they face.  This has been the hardest, most rewarding calling I've ever had.  I will love and remember these girls forever.

And then Bishop surprised me: "We're also releasing you as a ward organist."  That really shocked me.  I was pretty sure 'organist' was one of those callings you only get released from by death.  But then it all made sense when he offered me a new calling.  After all, nursing babies can't make it three hours without eating while their mommies play the organ and then put on a two-hour variety show as Primary chorister, now can they?

(Official reaction: I am terrified of this calling.  I have always, always been the pianist, never the chorister.  I spent most of last night not sleeping while I stressed about how this is going to work out.  Guess that's one thing about being a member of the Church--you don't get to stay comfortable for long...)


From one of our last activities--Young Women in Excellence.  You can kind of see the cake I made (which was sort of a disaster, but a delicious one).  You can also see Krystal taking a picture of the cake since I never got one.  But since she has two little ones and is the new YW President, I'm going to stop pestering her to take pictures of my cakes.  You have enough on your plate, Krystal!  ;)

4 comments:

Adrian said...

Primary chorister is my favorite calling. Except for maybe nursery. I hope you enjoy it, too, once you get over your terror!! Spencer and I keep lobbying every bishop and Primary president we meet to call us to be choristers again.

AZ Mikesells said...

If I can do it, you can do it!!! Since I can't sing, and I'm not artistic like you are, it will be less of a 'stretching' experience for you :D

Alicia said...

I guess congratulations and condolences are in order. I hope you find lots of fun things to do in all of your "spare" time now! :) Good luck with your new calling. You will do great!

Rachel said...

I am glad I no longer have to be green with envy that you still have the calling that I still feel like crying about since they released me! But life after YW is okay too. The girls say "we miss you!" in the hallways, so you still smile.