All brother-in-laws and parties uninterested in hearing lots of birth details can feel free to pass on this one.
As for my firm resolve that we were going to wait until she came naturally (or they forced induction at 42 weeks), let's just say that I couldn't handle it emotionally. By the time I had my doctor's appointment Thursday (the 17th) morning, I was kind of a mess. I kept thinking something was wrong with my body, or wrong with her, even though logically I knew everything was fine. But the thought of waiting another week was too much for me.
My doctor surprised me by scheduling an induction for the next morning. I was planning on waiting until Monday, but he wanted me to work with one of the doctors I was more familiar with (they added two new OBs in January). So Friday at 8:30 I was going to have this baby!
During my appointment I was dilated to a 3-4. He went ahead and stripped my membranes, hoping to trigger labor naturally (definitely not a pleasant sensation, but not nearly as painful as I expected). He told me to walk a lot to keep things going, then told me I'd probably be in labor that night. Either way, the end was in sight!
So Seth and I went straight to the mall and walked and walked. Then I coerced him into lunch at Red Robin (he didn't even drink his milkshake--he was tired). Of course, by the time we got home he was TOO tired to nap, so we met Dawn and her boys at the playground. By this point I was cramping, but I only noticed contractions when I was sitting down. I figured nothing was going to happen.
Around 9:30 pm Jon & I headed upstairs to get ready for bed. That's when I noticed things were happening. Contractions were every four minutes, lasting one minute. They weren't painful, but I couldn't ignore them either. Jon was all ready to head for the hospital, but I wanted to wait until things progressed more.
Ultimately, we decided to just go. Mostly it was a product of having to call a babysitter for Seth. Would you rather get a call at 1am or 4am? Poor Caitlin--she showed up at 1 am and Seth woke her up at 7am (plus Jon's alarm had her up at 6am).
We arrived around 2am and they put us straight into a room. I guess they figured I was staying either way--no point in sending me home just to come back in 6 hours. And I was sure they would have sent me home otherwise--mostly because I was still a 3-4 when they checked me (at first she said 2 and I almost cried. Then she had another nurse check and she said 3-4).
I didn't want to get an epidural until I absolutely needed it since I know they tend to slow things down. So I sat and read (War and Peace) and watched the stupid machine, hoping the contractions would pick up. Otherwise, they would be inducing me. I really, really wanted her to come on her own!
Finally, at 3:30, the contractions started to get more intense. I had to stop reading and start breathing though them. Jon would wake up and check on me every once in awhile, but I'm like my mom and prefer to just be left alone while I labor.
At 6:30 they checked me again and I was at a 6. I was also definitely ready for an epidural. Should have asked earlier--it was 7:45 by the time I got it, 8 am by the time it kicked in (at this point the doctor also broke my water to help speed things up).
Except, once again, it didn't work. At least this time I was halfway expecting it. When the first contraction hit and there was an enormous pressure in my right hip, my first thought was, 'Here we go again!' Last time the epidural cut out all the pain from the contractions, but none of the pain from my back labor (which was AGONIZING). This time I got half and half--felt nothing on the left, felt EVERYTHING on the right. The poor nurse tried to have me lay on my right side to try to get some medicine to flow down there, but laying on my right side made the baby's heartbeat go crazy, so there was none of that.
I was just grateful that at least half the pain was gone (especially half the back labor--that is a KILLER). The next hour and a half was spent in active labor--mostly I remember a lot of rocking, shaking, and sweating. So much fun. A little after 9 am the nurse was about to send for the anesthesiologist again, but decided to check me first. To my surprise, I was fully dilated and effaced!
The doctor got there around 9:30 and I got to start pushing. With Seth, the epidural finally started working just before I had to push. I was SO grateful, but I didn't feel a thing. They watched the monitor and told me when to push.
This time I could feel it (at least on the right side), and I actually liked it better this way. I think it helped me push better since I could feel the contractions. Not that I enjoyed feeling the pain, but at least I was pushing! It was almost over!
It was a little frustrating in that (just like with Seth) they kept saying, "She's almost here! Just a few more pushes!" and then she still wasn't out. But I only had to push for 25 minutes instead of 90 with Seth! And guess what? She was sunny-side up. I'm two for two. Which explains the on-again, off-again labor, the epidural that didn't work, and why it took so long to push her out. Oh, and why I tore so much. Ouch, ouch, ouch. My next one better come out the right way or we may not be having more children.
They let me hold her right after I delivered her, which I LOVED. They took Seth right away to weigh and measure. Jon and I were completely perplexed by her wide nose--it didn't look a thing like either of ours! (Turns out it was just smashed flat--it looks perfectly normal now).
She has been a lovely baby. Her days and nights are a bit mixed up, so she'll have these long alert periods at 2 am and then sleep through her 9am feeding, but that will sort itself out eventually. She rarely cries, and she loves to just sit in our arms and look around. She has a strong sucking reflex (like her brother) which means she's a fantastic nurser, but it also means she wants to suck to fall asleep. Most of the time I'm fine letting her nurse to sleep, but I have given in and let her have a pacifier a few times (don't hate me, Dawn! jk). Maybe she'll end up being a thumb sucker...
She had her first doctor's appointment yesterday and she completely astounded the doctor--all she could say was, "She's perfect!" She left the hospital at 7 pounds even and was 7lbs. 5 oz. by Tuesday (told you she could nurse--most babies LOSE weight). My favorite part was when the doctor skipped the PKU test--"Even in this yellow room against your green shirt, she still has a perfect complexion." Seth had such bad bruising that he was jaundiced--we did the heel prick three or four times with him. So grateful she only had to do it once (in the hospital).
Besides the fact that I can barely sit down (I'm currently seated on my Boppy), everything is going great. Things have been so much easier--nursing, adjusting to her schedule, etc. I know what to expect, so I'm more patient. I know it gets easier, so I can live with the craziness. Wish I had been this way with Seth!
Speaking of Seth--he's been pretty good. He's shown absolutely no resentment. In fact, he'll run up and snuggle with her (while I defend her from being crushed). He loves to watch her get her diaper changed, and he's pretty good about letting me read to him while I nurse. But then again, Jon is off work and is on entertainment duty. They're currently outside in the snow, which is where I'd like to be if I could walk... Our biggest complaint is that he's more whiny and contrary than usual. Part of this is his schedule is off (Catherine woke him up at 6 am screaming through a diaper change), but we realize that part of it is just adjusting to a new reality. We're trying our best to be patient with him, and the 'big brother' gifts from Grandma Cathy are a huge help--a train set and a trike!
Life is good. I'm so glad she's here and that everything is good with her. We've been so spoiled with meals and friends helping us with Seth--I feel really blessed right now.
Now off to sneak in a shower before it's feeding time again!
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Birth Story
at 10:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
So glad the 2nd time around went smoothly for you! (minus the back labor of course). I totally agree that 2nd time around is easier in a lot of ways because you have an idea of what to expect. Can't wait to see more pictures!
You're a pro now - so glad to hear all is going well! Here's to speedy healing and days and nights getting sorted out soon!
Loved reading this! You did a great job of keeping it short & concise...much better than me. Sorry your epidural didn't work very well again, and sorry you're still in so much pain. Glad she's so healthy & a good baby so far! Hope things continue to go well!!
Wow, you don't sound hormonal or post-partum at all. I'm so glad that she's a darling and that everything went smoothly. I totally agree with you about epidurals half working- that's what happened with my second as well and even though it hurt more it was good and helpful to feel more engaged with the process. I'd do it that way again (if there was going to be a third time, and if you could possibly order up half an epidural).
So happy for you and Jon and Seth and Catherine! She looks just like you guys. All of you. Best wishes and happiness to you!
Woo-hoo! It all worked, and your not pregnant anymore! Rejoice!!!!!
A lovely miracle to kiss on and snuggle to your hearts content!
Post a Comment