It took a few years, but I've finally come to terms with the fact that birthdays just aren't a big deal for Jon. Which is fine for him, since presents and cake don't appeal to him, but sometimes it's nice to have your birthday acknowledged!
So it was so nice this year to get to spend a birthday lunch with Marley & Melissa--two of my best friends. And we spent it at Broom's Bloom, which has THE BEST crab soup in the universe. I can never, ever leave Maryland because I would miss that soup too much.
Catherine also loves the soup.
As much as it kills me to share, I'm glad to support good taste in my children!
Jon & I counted the iPad as our birthday gift to each other, but I wanted the kids to get in the habit of giving birthday gifts. So I took them to the store, picked out some dark chocolate raspberry truffles for myself, and had Seth "buy" them. Best part? After realizing that I knew what my present was, Seth asked, "Mommy, when I wrap this will you forget what it is?" I promised that I would completely forget, and apparently did a passing job of acting surprised when I opened it. The chocolates didn't end up being that good, but seeing how excited Seth was to give them to me made it fantastic.
Also, the lemon cheesecake I bought myself from Wegmans was pretty darn good. Happy birthday to me!
Jon celebrated his birthday by flying to San Diego for a work trip, so we did his party a few days later. Chicken Parmesan for dinner and a cake made of stacked no-bake cookies with a candle or two on top. His gift from the kids was a bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
One year older and wiser, too, right?
2 comments:
Wiser - definitely! You've found a way to celebrate how you enjoy and how Jon enjoys - that's HUGE! I love Seth's "will you forget?"
Happy happy birthday to you!! I love Seth's question - how sweet to watch your kids give gifts.
Post a Comment