Sunday, June 30, 2013

School Scenes

Most of Seth's school stuff is going on my other blog, but some pictures are just too fun not to share here!

Seth hates writing, so we do a lot of creative methods to practice our letters.
This one involves writing in salt (I tried sugar at first, but he just kept eating it).
Catherine thought it was fantastic--I was sweeping up salt for two days.
(Don't mind Seth's expression--he pulled that face and commanded that I take a picture so he could see)

Practicing letters in shaving cream
If you look closely it says SETH!

He wanted a picture of the water coming out of the cup.
Done.

One of my all-time favorite Catherine pictures.
Big brother was a great help "cleaning" her hair.

Sometimes a little knowledge is a bad thing. 
Like when you teach your kid about money, rendering him capable of reading prices on candy:
"Look, Mom! It says $1.00!"
(Which, of course, happens to be the amount he'd earned doing his jobs that week): 
Curse you, Walgreens, and your gigantic, cheap suckers.

Suckers as big as our heads are AWESOME!
(Luckily after a few days they were broken and stealthily discarded after bedtime)

These ball and rod magnets have been a HUGE hit with the kids.
Sure, we've lost several pieces, but it's totally worth it for an hour of quiet entertainment!

One of my better ideas: practicing sight words by jumping on labelled foam blocks: 
Ready?

Go! 

Catherine's turn! 
As she always says, "Ready, steady...

GO!!!" 
Once again, forgive the pantslessness.

Some 4th of July firework art:
(the fewer clothes the better with this kind of potential mess)

Our firework collection

As a celebration for completing his first month of kindergarten, we took Seth to Rita's: 

So far things are going really well. Some parts he loves (anything I can turn into a game, plus listening to me read chapter books to him). Some parts he hates (writing, any reading he considers too long). But he still asks me every day if we're doing school, and still seems excited, so I'd call it a win so far!

Although the other day he was asking me what things were boring. I was explaining that different people think different things are boring. Some people think singing is boring, some people would think playing cars is boring (he was shocked by this revelation). I asked him what he thought was boring. His response?

"School."

Nothing like that to keep you humble as a teacher! Little boys and school just don't always mix well, and I don't see this changing anytime soon! I blame Jon--I was a dork and loved school (elementary school, anyway).

4 comments:

Adrian said...

I love your creativity with writing... isn't homeschooling great? :) And in spite of the drawbacks (like knowing how much candy costs now) isn't it cool to watch him learn? And then learn more? (when Yoroko learned to read prices, it led to discussions about budgets) It sounds like your first month went pretty well - congratulations!

AZ Mikesells said...

He'd really be bored at public school - no salt, shaving cream or jumping!

Steve and Meredith said...

We practice our letters and numbers in salt too (I keep mine in a shallow Tupperware so no spill :))! We also do pudding & jello powder and Hadley gets to like her finger if she gets it right!! I used to do those things in my classroom all the time- always a hit!!

Steve and Meredith said...

*lick her finger