Thursday, December 15, 2016

Just Aaron

Little Aaron Man, I'm not sure I have quite the words to describe you. Twice in the past few weeks I've had good friends tell me that you need to star in your own comic strip or cartoon show. It's a combination of your Aaron-isms and your hair. 

Let's talk about your hair, because it's my favorite. I love it when you wake up in the morning with whatever crazy hair you designed while sleeping. I always greet you, then greet your hair separately. This was one of my favorites: the giant wave curl on the top of your head. It stuck around for several days:

You're starting to move from the "destroy" phase into the "create" phase. You've started building with Legos, K'Nex and Magna Tiles. Your favorite thing to build is Lego cars. Once they're built, you'll spend hours swapping out the wheels. Your other favorite thing to build is helicopters, or any airplane with a propeller. I spent two hours finding the pieces to build you this plane one morning:

Of course, the "destroy" instinct is still there and makes its appearance eventually. All the cars and planes will crash, and at some point I refuse to reassemble them. This airplane barely survived longer than the two hours it took to build it. 

Your best friends are Paul & Luke Knox. They're 18 months apart and you fit quite nicely right between them. You love both of them, but you play better with Luke. He's more on your level, while Paul prefers to play with Catherine if given the chance.  

You've had lots of chances to play with them recently since their big sister has been in the hospital with crazy stuff. Scary for their family, but happy for a boy who's always asking when "Paul Luk-a" are coming over. 


When we take your picture, you insist on saying "cheeks!" I think this is hilarious because 1) we never have anyone say "cheese", so not sure where you picked this up, and 2) your cheeks are amazing:

One evening (probably about six months to a year ago), you were having an Aaron freak-out moment. Jon took you outside to calm you down. He showed you the moon and told you it was Aaron's moon. You became obsessed. You are so, so excited every time you catch a glimpse of "Aaron's moon." And it's always "Aaron's moon", never just a moon.

Out of the blue you decided that pink forks and spoons are totally unacceptable. You will not eat with with them. You will not stop freaking out until they are removed from your sight. 

Every night Seth reads scripture stories to Catherine. We decided it was time for you to join in. You rarely pay any attention, but you've discovered that it's a great stall tactic. "Aaron, come get in bed!" "Scwip-cha soaries! Scwip-cha soaries!" 

We've caught you saying "What the heck?" several times. I blame Seth. And Jon.

I keep our pantry well-stocked with snack-sized fruit cups. You would eat 6-7 of them a day if I let you. You are a fruit bat.

Your favorite thing in the whole world is going "in the fan (van)." Unfortunately for you, I am a home body. Once Elise is down to a single nap, I promise we'll get out of the house more!

You refuse to potty-train.

You're working on dressing and undressing yourself. Your favorite thing is your "zip-zips" (either footie pajamas or jackets).

You love Elise. You are so excited when she wakes up to play with you. You love feeding her, and you love taking all the toys away from her. Sibling love is so fun.


Little dinosaur, I sure love you. 

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

Don't forget his huge puppy eyes! Dressing and undressing - wow, that is a HUGE step. Does that mean less freak outs about shorts, short sleeves, shoes, etc.?