Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Just Seth

I feel like Seth is hitting the age where he doesn't need me as much anymore. He's very independent, which means I don't get to interact with him as much. There's always someone else clamoring for my attention. I'm trying to do my best to carve out time just for Seth, but life sure seems to have gotten busy recently! I blame Cub Scouts. 

Seth played soccer again this year and was lucky to be on a team with three of his friends from church and several others from school. Not sure if it was the boys or the coaching or a combination of the two, but they just could not get it together. I think they only won a single game. Luckily Seth didn't mind too much. His focus and skills are definitely improving, although he is still prone to happy dances after successfully kicking the ball.

I only made it to one or two games thanks to a nursing/napping Elise.  The first game was in a constant drizzle, but the boys still seemed happy by the end. Please note that Seth is too interested in his post-game snacks to look at the camera:

The other game I attended was so bright that I almost blinded the boys while taking their picture:
Gabe, Seth, Thatcher & Jack

Special, special boys. We love them.

Seth is a very friendly guy and will chat with anyone (everyone) who makes eye contact. But his best friend is still Gabe (possibly because we spend nearly as much time at the Knoxes as we do our own house). Melissa sent these pictures from our Easter dinner:

Friendships built on mutual dorkiness are sure to last.

Seth has loved being in Cub Scouts. I think he really does enjoy the activities, but he mostly enjoys running crazy with the other boys. I used to think the Activity Day girls were loud and obnoxious. Clearly I had never taught Cub Scouts. Bless those leaders. 

Cooking with his buddy burner

He was asked to smile.
He did this instead.

Enjoying a hot dog with Jack.

Seth is developing his sense of humor. Most of the time we can't tell if he's trying to be funny or if he's just being Seth and doesn't realize it. Case in point: this letter to his cousin Megan:

He loves being told he's funny and loves trying to get attention. This obviously gets him into some trouble, like when the assistant principal had to talk to him about telling a kindergartner they had "the Cheese Touch." Thank you, Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I hate those books. Seth, of course, devours them.

A Seth art project. 

Several of Seth's friends and classmates were in a short school play this year. He told me that he got to see them all during their performance at school. When I asked him if he wanted to do the play next year (which would involve after-school practices), his response was, "No way! All that practice just for singing?!" He is Jon's son.

Nov. 19, 2016: Seth's Primary class party. His teachers are saints.

Seth has a crazy huge Primary class. There are 11 kids, all of whom are active (in the church and active in general). 7 boys, 4 girls. His teachers are the Bradys--the ward grandpa & grandma. This class almost killed them off, but they sure love all those kids. Seth was not one of their easy ones. Bro. Brady always tells me that Seth might be under the chair, but he always knows the answers!

At parent-teacher conferences, Seth's teacher told me he was acing math and reading, but that his desk was in a constant state of disaster and his shoes were never tied. I almost laughed because that is just a perfect description of Seth. We have tried everything to get the kid to do simple things like put his pajamas and toothbrush away in the mornings. Nothing works. Hoping that will develop with time.

He may be acing his tests, but his official grades in math and reading are a C and B. I find myself conflicted by this as the girl who always tried for (and mostly got) As. It's really our fault--we give the kids the choice to do homework in elementary school (since research has shown it has no benefits). Seth chooses not to. The logical part of me says not to worry since he's clearly acing his tests. But the former student is a little stressed by that C on the report card. It's third grade, Megan. Lighten up!

Seth is enjoying his newfound independence. Maryland law forbids children under age 8 from being home alone. Now that he's 8 (and we have an old cell phone for him to use to call us in emergencies), he keeps asking me to leave so he can stay alone.

He's also quite pleased to be able to ride his bike to his friend Jack's house. We live very close to several of his friends, but the only way to get there is riding along a high-use, 45 mph road. Thankfully a friend showed him the "secret way" through to the other neighborhood. It might just involve riding through a random yard, but allegedly the owners are okay with it. 

Minecraft and Roblox are still his favorites. Even when electronics are done, his preferred game is "Minecraft In Real Life." He's still a huge reader, although he hasn't made the jump into books with no illustration. I think the length intimidates him. 

He loves pestering his siblings, but he also loves playing with them. He's especially awesome with Elise. On nights where it's been a little crazy, he'll be especially helpful and then say things like, "I'm helping you so you don't have to work so hard, Mom." He has a big heart, even if it can be hard to see under all the little boy craziness! 

I sure love this Seth Man. Seeing him grow so quickly makes me panic--I feel like I don't have very much time left with him before he starts getting busy and more independent. I'm trying to soak up his spontaneous hugs and snuggles while I still can. 

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

Snacks are the MOST important part of soccer remember ;)