I've always loved the East Coast look of wreaths and candles in the windows. Last year I got the candles and this year it was the wreaths. They ended up being a bit smaller than I expected, but it still makes me happy every time I see them!
Because of illness (both mine and my students'), I had missed almost a month's worth of lessons this fall. I decided to skip the formal recital and try something else instead: playing at an assisted living center. Our homeschool co-op visited this center a few times last year so I decided to arrange for us to come and play our songs for the residents.
We showed up that night only to be met by some very confused employees. Apparently no one had notified them and all the residents were in bed (at 6:15 pm!). Thankfully they let us stay and play for each other! It was very informal and fun. Just a little disappointing that my brilliant service idea ended up being a bust!
Catherine played Jingle Bells
Seth played Away in a Manger
I really pushed Seth for this recital and had him play out of the Hymns Made Easy book. It's much harder than his regular stuff. It wasn't perfect, but he worked hard and is being challenged.
Catherine, on the other hand, took on some challenges of her own accord. Something about Christmas music flipped the switch for her: she is LOVING piano and will often sit down and start playing just for fun. She particularly enjoys trying to play songs out of Seth's books (and isn't too far behind him). Now we'll see if the enthusiasm endures once the Christmas books are put away...
Thanks to another round of illness, we had to skip our traditional gingerbread decorating with the Knoxes. It wasn't quite as fun or crazy, but everyone still seemed to have a good time.
Elise gave decorating a decent effort before deciding to just eat the candy.
Aaron was very meticulous and knew exactly what he wanted.
Catherine was also very meticulous.
Actually, so was Seth.
Somehow I didn't get a picture of his this year.
Making huge messes and consuming tons of candy.
This was my favorite part of Aaron's house.
That lollipop is a cannon, aimed at anyone who might approach.
Little boys are the best.








1 comments:
Love your idea to have the recital at the asst living center!
Post a Comment