This is our second year at our co-op and we have really loved it. I know from experience how hard it can be to find a co-op that is well-run and a good fit. I love having my kids learn some skills that can be hard to teach when it's just me (due dates, communication with teachers, working to each teacher's expectations, etc.). It's not perfect, but it's by far the best thing we've found.
In November two of the directors asked to meet with me. I assumed it was to find out if we were planning to continue for the next year. Jon & I had just discussed it during a date the weekend before and I was excited to be able to give them a definite yes.
But that wasn't what happened. Instead they told me that they were working to focus on their purpose and mission as a co-op. It's always been a nominally Christian co-op, but it was very low-key. Some of the curricula would mention Christian themes, but it wasn't overt.
That was going to change. For the upcoming year they wanted to be very clear that the co-op was Christian and that the things being taught would reflect a Christian perspective. It all sounded fine until they mentioned the phrase "statement of faith."
My heart dropped. In our area almost all of the homeschool co-ops are Christian. Almost all of them have some variety of faith statement. And almost all of them contain language that makes it difficult or impossible for someone of our faith to sign. Finding a co-op that was well-run and let us join was no easy task. Now I felt like it was all going to come crashing down. My one thread of hope was that they had obviously wanted to get my opinion before they made it official. Maybe there was room for some discussion.
A few days later they emailed me their potential faith statement and asked for my thoughts. I cried when I read it. Even though they had obviously tried to make it work for our family based on their (limited) understanding of our beliefs, I knew we couldn't sign it as it was. I was also uncomfortable with the idea of engaging in theological discussions over things like the nature of God or salvation.
After many, many discussions with Jon and my veteran homeschooler friend Bente, I composed a response. Jon went through and edited for context and clarity. Then we sent it off and crossed our fingers.
The next day I got a text: they wanted to meet with me & Jon to discuss in person. I was extremely nervous since I had no idea how things were going to go. I was worried we would end up in a situation where we would appear to be questioning the legitimacy of their faith, which is exactly what I didn't want to do. I did a lot of praying that there would be understanding on both sides.
I was still feeling sick when we walked into the meeting. Thankfully, within minutes they made it clear that they had read through our response and had made one key change we had suggested: instead of signing a statement of faith saying that we BELIEVED these things, we would sign a statement acknowledging that the TEACHINGS at co-op would be based on these things. Basically, whatever my personal beliefs may be, as long as I was comfortable with my children being taught these things and as long as I promised not to teach contrary to their statement, we were welcome.
I felt at peace immediately. And then it got even better! They gave us a preview of their plans for the upcoming year, which made some drastic changes. It would be a simpler, more joyful focus on learning. Art and music would be integrated into their humanities. History would be taught through books and stories. Younger grades would have nature studies for their science. Basically, all the things I had been concerned about with co-op were being addressed. It was an answer to a prayer that I hadn't actually voiced. I left that meeting feeling a million times better about everything.
And so we are happily enjoying our time at co-op and very much looking forward to next year! For now we're working on wrapping up our study of the periodic table in my chemistry classes:
(4th and 5th grade, Seth is on the far right)
(2nd grade, Catherine on the right)
And we're enjoying pretending to make campfires outside while studying Little House on the Prairie during literature class:
(Catherine's in the silver coat and red shoes)
Sometimes I am annoyed by the inflexibility that comes with joining a co-op and having a schedule (like when I just want to slack off for a few days when we're feeling blah), but the benefits of the resources and friendships more than make up for the inconvenience!



1 comments:
LOVE LOVE LOVE this experience!
Post a Comment