Wednesday, November 10, 2021

The Bloxen take on Philadelphia

I have loved having the Knoxes homeschooling with us during Covid! It probably won't happen again next year, but we can always dream...

Since we both covered the American Revolution in history this year, we decided it would be fun to do some of the historical things in Philadelphia together. My kids weren't super thrilled since we've done Philly several times, but they're always up for anything involving the Knoxes, so off we went!
Kids at the Liberty Bell
Featuring: not me and Elijah because I hate taking the stroller through their security.
Melissa kindly took everyone else while we played in the grass outside.

Apparently this was on the way to the bathroom.
I don't know where or why, but they thought it was super cool.

Gabe, Catherine and Paul in Independence Hall

Thrilled to be on a historical tour.

On the steps, waiting for me, Aaron, Elise and Elijah to finish our tour.
(We were too big to be in one group).

Our selfie in Independence Hall.

Legit photo taken by a very kind lady who of course ended up being a member of the Church.
I don't think the kids got much out of this, but it felt almost like sacred space to me. 

Outside Ben Franklin's grave.
The kids threw all my change on top of it.
We listened to an audiobook about him on the drive up so they were very excited.

We really wanted to go to the Mint, but it was closed to the public.
Thanks, Covid.

We ended our day at the carousel.
Apparently 13 is not too old for carousel rides. 

And apparently 2 is not quite old enough.

Slightly recovered, but never fully comfortable.

I still think it's so cool that we live so close to all this amazing history. I think that's what happens when you grow up out West and only get to visit this kind of stuff if you spend a lot of time and money to make it happen. Maybe one day my kids will appreciate it!

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

At least someone got inside to see the bell! Someday I need to go back. Not sure we'll ever get Bryan or your kids back again :D