Thursday, January 21, 2010

I Am Resolved...sort of...

First of all, let me just sing the praises of Colorzilla. If you mess with your blog as often as I do, this little tool is absolutely essential. I'm in love. (Side note: you have to be a Firefox user.)

Second, my resolutions for 2010. I'm writing these down so I have to be accountable to someone other than myself.


My thoughts on New Years' resolutions:

Jon doesn't believe in them, and I completely understand. If you need to fix something, just fix it. Don't wait until the New Year. However, those of us with less self-discipline like having a fresh beginning (like a new year) to catalyze our resolve.

My resolutions aren't big things. I'm never tempted to pick things like "create a more peaceful home" or "become more spiritual." While those are nice, wonderful resolutions, they are totally undefinable. There's no way to measure peace or spirituality, which makes it hard to know if you're doing things right.

My theory is this: stick to the concrete. You want a more peaceful home? Fabulous. Now what can you actually DO to create one?

I'm also not a fan of gigantic leaps forward. Ideally, yes, I would love to spend 30 minutes every day studying my scriptures. I can resolve that all I want, but it's not going to happen. So I start small. Last year my goal was to read the scriptures every day. One verse, one paragraph--didn't matter. I think I was 100% successful. This year I'm pushing for 10 minutes every day. And I can honestly say that I've already blown it, but that's okay. Resolutions shouldn't be about a perfect track record: they should be about creating new habits.

So here are my resolutions for 2010:

#1 Read my Book of Mormon for 5 minutes every day

#2 Pray every morning and evening

#3 Smile every day

(If the above resolutions sound familiar, odds are good that you're working with the Young Men/Women.)

#4 Read my scriptures for 10 minutes every day (including the 5 minutes of BOM above)

#5 Exercise at least 30 minutes every week
(See what I mean? Definitely not pushing myself here.)

#6 Eat at least one fruit and one vegetable every day. Make sure there's a veggie with dinner every night.
(Thank heaven I love spinach salads. Otherwise this resolution just might kill me.)

So there they are. Like I said, I've already blown them all, but I'm still trying. And if I succeed, next year I'll push a little harder.

Baby steps, people, baby steps.

And if I had a Wii Fit I'd totally exercise more than 30 minutes a week (hi, sweetie!).

13 comments:

Ali said...

I loved the shout out to Jon following the wi-fit hint. Nicely done. It made me laugh!

Great list, I love that you keep it realistic. That's what I'm all about.

Ali said...

pretend that says Wii-fit

Holly said...

Good for you! I've always loved your honest, frank, and realistic attitude. By the way, I wish I could sell you my Wii Fit. Curt's parent's were kind enough to buy it for my birthday last August...and I've only used it twice. It just doesn't work for me--I've had to sign up for an actual class that drags me out of bed because I just can't motivate myself at home. So if you lived next door (or if you wanted to try to figure something out), I'd sell it for a great price. Good luck with your goals!

Brian and Kenna said...

I want a wii fit too! But then I'd have to get tv and a wii as well so probably not gonna happen :-)

AZ Mikesells said...

The Wii Fit is lonely! Just ask me the last time I used it... Yep, you were here! That's why I didn't make any resolutions this year. I'm on survival!

Caitlin said...

oh, I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes. They are great. Good resolutions, and I agree, don't fret over them if they don't get done. It's all about improvement. I say that reading 10 minutes a day every now and again when you weren't doing it before is GREAT improvement. Keep it up girl!

HeavenlyHome said...

Bring on the Spinach!!! And thanks for your wonderful work with my YW!

Alicia said...

Woohoo! Good luck! I am loving your baby steps. I think I need to set the same ones.

AZ Mikesells said...

Have you read Elder Holland's article in the Jan. 2010? It reminded me of your 'resolution' opinions. You are SO smart!

Dawn said...

I love that you know you can just pick yourself up after a fall and start again when you left off. Such a good thing to know how to do (instead of feeling guilty for falling off and letting that guilt stop you from trying again.)

One year I resolved not to drink soda for the whole year and I did it. I actually gave it up for over a year!

Sommer said...

Love your practical approach to these goals.... I'm actually going to use some of your resolutions for myself too. You are amazing!

Wendy said...

I actually have the wii active game and you don't need the wii fit for it. It is a much better work out. If you come and visit, you'll have to try it out.

Dawn said...

how is it going with your resolutions?