I remember as a kid meandering through my grandparents' garden, munching on raspberries and peas. There's nothing like plucking something straight out of the garden and plopping it in your mouth.
I also remember growing a garden at our house in North Logan. All I really remember getting out of it was some pumpkins, but I probably wouldn't have eaten anything that came out of it at that point (I was a monstrously picky eater until college).
But then we moved to Arizona right before I turned 12. And that was the end of my gardening experiences. Anything that will grow in Arizona will grow without much help (cactus, citrus trees, beautiful, poisonous flowers). But a standard garden? Not a chance.
After 13 years of having no experience with growing anything besides a pea plant for a Young Women (it never grew), I thought I wouldn't have much desire/talent. But it turns out that it's slightly addicting.
We started last summer with a tomato plant and a container of chives. We got lots of delicious tomatoes, and fresh chives (they're still going strong, one year later). So this year we decided to try a little more.
Since we're in a townhome with a tiny backyard, we can't have a legitimate garden. Instead, we do container gardening on our deck. So here's what we have growing this year:
Strawberries...
...and peas
Chives and dill weed(and if you know anything about dill weed, you'll laugh at the size of my pot. Obviously I didn't do my research before I planted this one)
Spinach (behind) and green beans (we had issues with the first planting--it rained too much and the seeds all rotted besides this one. I just planted some more)
And one of our two glorious tomato plants. I'm so excited! We also have a tiny little raspberry bush given to us by someone in the ward. I didn't get a picture, but at this point it's so tiny it won't be much to look at.
All the dirt under them had settled or eroded. You could see straight through to the other side. Not good.Now our stairs look like this:
We packed the space underneath the steps with rocks, pounded in a liner to keep said rocks in place, and then seeded all the dirt patches around the edges.Jon's big project (besides the steps) was this:
See that lovely hose holder thing? It wasn't there before.I'm so glad to finally have one. Maybe next year that bush will actually be able to grow since it won't be crushed by our hose...
And this was my big project:
I trimmed the stupid spiky bush on the left (it's beautiful, but nasty), and planted those mystery flowers. My neighbor was given a bunch of them and passed her extras on to me. We don't have any idea what they are. I know they're perennials (bulbs), and am fairly sure they're irises, but we probably won't find out until next year when they bloom. All I know is that they aren't daffodils. Thats the extent of my flower knowledge.
More mystery flowers around the tree (which I trimmed). I also mulched everything (with Seth's help). Seth's main jobs were to dig up what I already planted and to scatter grass seed where it wasn't actually needed. He was very proficient at both...But the past week I've been running several times with Seth in the jogging stroller. The run is about a mile and a third, and about half of it is uphill (ish). My time isn't impressive, but it's getting better. But I hate running.
So here's my question: why do I want to do it? Why am I looking forward to running tomorrow? I hate running, but I love how I feel after I'm done.
See, Kellie? All that running in Texarkana wasn't totally wasted on me...
6 comments:
Hooray for endorphins! You and running are never to be separated now : ) You inspire me with your yard work - I've been trying, and I like it, but I just can't seem to get much done. OH, And Audrey really wants a garden. We bought some seeds. Now I really have to start. Scott and I both thought the video of Seth and leaves was really funny!
I'm impressed with all the gardening..I'll have to suggest this to David. We had a great garden in SLC but the whole townhouse thing really puts a crimp in it. You guys have done a great job, though. And running? Yeah, I don't know about that.
Yay for green things in plastic boxes!
Your garden looks GREAT! Make sure you pull your tomatoes inside if it gets cold at night. Your don't want them to freeze. And I would try planting a few more green beans next month. They do better in the middle of May. They are a warm weather plant. If you want more strawberry plants, pinch off the blossoms and your plants will "make babies". It's really great. It looks like your mystery flowers are irises. If you divide them every couple of years, they stay beautiful and disease free. It's so nice to having a gardening friend! Good luck with it all!
Good job for running! And I think it's so funny that, once again, you beat me to a post and totally showed me up (the first time was with food storage). We did a little yard work this weekend that I was going to post about, but compared to what you did, our little project was nothing. Oh well, nothing better than a little humility! :) I'm impressed with your little pot gardening--good for you!
hey megan, I'm impressed with your gardening and how both of you are always working on and loving your home. way to go. Every year I think having a little garden would be nice but I never seem to have the energy to get one going. We haven't even cut our grass yet (and it so needs it.)
I'm happy to hear you are running too! I feel the same way about running in a lot of ways- you feel so good afterwards. its good stress relief. I still haven't started running again yet though. I have stroller issues. I keep thinking I need to start. Do you have a Nike+? They are great!
Post a Comment