We got back from the cruise to find a garden that was going crazy (thanks to Shawn and Krystal for watering it while we were gone). I was weeding around the strawberries when I noticed this:
See that green-stemmed plant by the strawberries? Not a weed. It's a green bean sprout. Wondering how it got there? Here's your answer: Seth. I was planting the beans (NOT in the strawberries) and he wanted to help. I gave him a few seeds to play with. Next thing I know he has his little shovel out and is 'planting' them in the strawberries. I didn't really care since they were all on the surface and wouldn't grow. Apparently he got at least one buried well enough!
Now for some random updates:
The weekend after I got home from the cruise was our Stake Youth Conference (vacation is officially over--reality is back!). We were chaperons for three boys from the Chesapeake Ward, which was an interesting experience. No complaints, though. They were great. I got to spend Saturday afternoon with our girls, which was actually a lot of fun. They all had a good time.
I really thought he would hate it. I thought he would panic halfway through and Jon would have to carry him out. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The only panicking he did was when we made him leave.
Yesterday we had Debbie, Angelina and Olivia (a foster child they're temporarily taking care of) over to play. Of course, the first thing they headed for was the water table:

Needless to say, we spent the rest of the afternoon in our diapers. I love getting together with Debbie and her girls--the kids always play SO well together, which means Debbie and I get to sit and chat. It's awesome.
And I have Debbie to thank for this next picture, too:
That, my friends is my 'new' jogging stroller, passed along by Debbie. Her dad found it by a dumpster and brought it to her, but she never uses it. She offered it to me, and I definitely accepted. I actually have one that was given to me by another friend (I have AWESOME friends) but it's an older model of the same stroller. Neither of them are in great condition (the one in the picture has a duct-taped handlebar that's all sticky) but they work for running!Which leads me to my final point (and by 'point' I mean complaint). I'm training for this 5K that I'm determined to place in. For the past month I've been slapping Seth into the jogging stroller at least 3 times a week and running 2-3 miles. And here's the thing that kills me--my time stinks. Absolutely stinks. I'm running more than a 10 minute mile (pathetic). The worst part? My time isn't getting better. It's the uphill that's killing me--pushing 50+ pounds of baby and stroller up a hill is going to slow you down. But seriously? 12 minute miles? I might as well be walking! I'm just praying the race is on level ground. Then I have a chance.
But I have 2 and a half more weeks. I'm pushing myself, trying to improve. Because I WANT TO WIN A PRIZE, DANG IT.
(There's not a competitive bone in my body, I swear.)
PS--See those MONSTER peas in the background of that picture? They have honestly grown at least a foot in the past week. So far, so good. Tomatoes are also looking good, and the beans. My spinach was a total disaster--the leaves turned yellow and it stopped growing. Darn. I'll try again in the fall.

5 comments:
I love those pictures of Seth on the obstacle course!! Your garden sounds awesome. I'm hoping to get mine going soon.
Dear Megan...
As a track groupie I have some advice to offer you that they told me. Adding mileage will only increase your ability to run more mileage not faster mileage. You need to do interval running. For about the first mile you should run faster than your normal pace every other minute. Then between those minutes you run your normal pace and then after the mile you just run the rest at normal pace. Soon you will be able to increase your pace the whole time. Then you just keep upping the minute interval pace and BAM... you are a 5k winner. :-)
Are those plants growing in swimming pool in the background of that one picture? I'm glad to hear you had a good time at youth conference. I think Charm City Run has weekly speed training sessions for runners. check out their website.
I'm so jealous of your peas! Last year about this time mine where that size too, but this year it has been abnormally cold so they are only 6 inches tall... lucky! :) awesome garden!
So you really did use Seth's swimming pool for the garden? It seems to be working!
Competitive bone in your body... Well, since EVERY one of your father's bones is competitive, I'm guessing you got your share!
Post a Comment