God has a sense of humor.
I spent 6 weeks training for this 5K. I was determined to do awesomely. My goal was to place, but if that was out of the question, I at least wanted to say I ran the entire 3.1 miles.
I didn't do either. But I'm okay with it.
It was 89 degrees and humid the day of the race. I might have grown up in Arizona, but heat and I have been enemies since I was a newborn (ask my mom about the BYU football game she took me to as a baby). In 70 degree weather I can run a 5K without even getting winded. At 89 degrees, I can't run without getting dizzy.
I also failed to anticipate one major factor in my competition: who in their right mind wants to run a 5K with a jogging stroller? That's right. Only moms who probably run a 7 or 8 minute mile without their strollers. When I saw the other three women with strollers, I knew there was no way I was going to place. But that's okay. It was for a good cause, and I had fun chatting with my friends (after the race--during the race I only had enough breath to pant out 'Hey' as I passed by).
I don't have any pictures because Debbie hasn't passed them off to me yet. But I'm determined to do better next year. And Seth and I will continue to run 2-3 miles a couple days a week.
Stupid 89 degree weather...
4 comments:
I think you deserve mad props. If it were me,
#1 - I wouldn't have even tackled the race in the first place and
#2 - I would have taken one look at the weather forecast for the day and said "uh, never mind."
So, congratulations! You did awesome!
You're so great to get out and run! Heat is really a killer, and running with a stroller is so hard - I figure it slows me down at least a minute per mile, so if subtracting 3 minutes and bit off your time helps you think more positively about things, try it!
Meg, you are amazing. Nathan bought me a jogging stroller, a really nice one and I have yet to make running a regularity, and I used to like running. Way to go for being an awesome, involved Mom, that also happens to have an awesome exercising regime. I wonder how many of those women left their jogging strollers home?
that danged humidity! i hear you. It absolutely knocks me flat on my back too. I'm proud of you for still doing the race and for getting into shape and staying in shape.
Post a Comment