Friday, July 22, 2011

Force Feeding

In a desperate bid to get Catherine to sleep longer at night (her longest chunk lately has been four hours.  Usually less.), we decided to start her on rice cereal.  I was nervous about how it would go down--she has NO interest in food, nor does she seem super hungry.  Except at night.

She did much better than expected.  And by that I mean she did much better than Seth did.  But poor Seth was a victim of  our first-time-parenthood and had to suffer through my attempts to make my own rice cereal.  Let's just say it was most definitely not smooth.  No wonder he wouldn't touch the stuff.

Anyway, Catherine did pretty darn well.  She didn't like it, but she was actually opening her mouth and swallowing.  Not just tonguing it all back out like I thought she would.

Poor girl.  She had no idea what was coming.

Trying to pry her mouth open.

She loved it.
Any by that I mean she hated it.

Take two.

Still not tempting.

Seth in the Bumbo.
He told us he wanted some rice cereal, too.  I was all for giving him a taste, but he quickly changed his mind.


Catherine, tell us how you really feel about solid food: 

6 comments:

HeavenlyHome said...

Homemade rice cereal?!?!? Amazing!
I am psyched to hear how sleeping on a cereal tummy goes!!! Worked for us!

Eric and Hilary said...

I'm jealous. Brooklyn pushes EVERYTHING out. oh, except for a chocolate animal cracker that Eric decided to feed her. she loved that. lol

AZ Mikesells said...

Great photos of Catherine's reactions! I hope it works. It didn't with you... That Mikesell/Aldredge sleeping gene doesn't seem to kick in until after infancy - darn!

Christy said...

Hey - when my nephew was ready for rice cereal my sister did something that rocked my world and changed my life (as in "make note for when you have kids") she made it thin in a bottle and little Q just sucked it down. No messing with the spoon/bowl at all. Super easy and kind of brilliant.

Adrian said...

Your kids (both of them) look adorable in a bumbo. I love Catherine's chubby little legs. I hope this works for you!

Stephen and Claudia said...

So cute Little Catherine, I can't believe that she started to eat already!