One time, we were invited to a couples-only Halloween party. Sadly, due to a recently-born Aaron, we had to decline the invitation. But we waited with anticipation for the next year.
I was surprised at the early date--who has a Halloween party on October 3rd? Turns out it was due to the impending deployment of one of the hosts--completely understandable. But didn't leave much time for costume ideas/making.
After spending 2+ hours scouring the internets for ideas, I stumbled across an idea that I knew would be one of our best costumes ever. A little sewing, plastering, and silver spray-painting later, we had our costumes:
I've been trying to get Jon to do Star Wars for years, but he's always rejected the idea, claiming it was overdone (true). But Han Solo in carbonite is definitely a novel idea. Jon was totally on board.
Pretty darn proud of this gem.
Now to find a home for it in our tiny storage room...
Our genius costume idea did the trick:
we came home with the oh-so-coveted "Best Costumes" trophy:
It will be displayed in our home triumphantly until next year.
I was a little surprised that we won--we have some great friends who love Halloween as much as we do. One couple came as a very accurate replica of the American Gothic painting. Another was dressed as Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, complete with beautiful, authentic clothing she sewed herself (they got my vote for best costumes).
Now to see if I can actually get the next round of costumes finished in a timely manner! Happy Halloween (round 1)!



2 comments:
Awesome! I love those costumes. Carbonised Han Solo is so cool.
Totally awesome costumes! That Han Solo is so fun and unique!
Post a Comment