Friday, October 16, 2015

September Fun

Fall means soccer for Seth. This year he's on a team with Gabe (again), as well as his friend Jack and a couple kids from his class. He's still working on developing his skills, but this year he's much more inclined to watch the ball instead of the butterflies on the field. 

His favorite position is goalie, and he does a decent job. 
His coach seems to mostly put him on defense, though. 
He doesn't love soccer, but he likes it. That's good enough, right?

We also enjoyed some delicious cookies thanks to cousin Wuss-uhl: 
Wish we could have been there to party with you, Russell!

And then this, which started with a tiny little black bug: 
I saw them first in the townhome and didn't think much of it. Tiny little things that looked like beetles. Just one, by itself, every couple of weeks. Then I saw them when we moved. I kept meaning to research and never got around to doing it.

And then I did. Lucky us: weevils. We had no idea what we were dealing with, but we knew we needed to clear out everything in the pantry and get things in air-tight containers. Very expensive and a huge pain. We had no idea what the weevils had already gotten into and what they would be interested in getting into. 

After several hours, we discovered the bag of brown rice. I won't even describe it, but it was horrifying. At least we had found the source! Many things went to the garbage, many other things went in the freezer (a week in the freezer will kill all weevils and eggs). We were lucky that they ended up being rice weevils, as we kept hardly any rice in the pantry. Grain weevils would have been a disaster. 

Now we are smarter and poorer. And all our rice and whole grains will be making a week-long stop in the freezer before ending up in the pantry. 

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

I would be terrified to be goalie! I have storage under beds that I'm afraid to open now... Hopefully one weevil infestation per household is the quota!