Monday, December 14, 2015

The Green Bean of Doom

I was a very picky eater as a kid. VERY picky. And I grew out of it sometime during college. So I never stressed about the fact that my kids were picky eaters, figuring they would grow out of it, too. But when we hit the point where they were refusing to eat foods they had eaten for years, I decided we were done with this game. New rule: they are required to try the vegetables at dinner. It was traumatic at first, but I figured they would quickly realize that I wasn't kidding. Seth did. Catherine...Catherine likes to do it the hard way.

It started with a one-inch piece of green bean. She refused to eat it. Daddy put cheese sauce on it. She thought about eating it, then decided against it. She was warned that she would be getting nothing else to eat until her green bean was eaten. Which meant she skipped dinner, dessert, and breakfast. 18 hours of not eating. 

Finally, she gave in. After a brief moment of "losing" the green bean and claiming to have eaten it (Mom is not a fool), she was ready to go. She had her juice at the ready to wash down that horrible green bean taste: 

Hooray! She survived! 
We still have our battles occasionally, but the kids are learning to try new things.
Can't say they LOVE their vegetables, but we'll get there!

2 comments:

Adrian said...

Good job sticking to your guns!

Cathy Mikesell said...

And now she tries a taste without too much struggle :)