Maryland has disappointed us many times in the past with storm predictions that woefully overestimated the snowfall we actually received. When everyone started talking about the huge blizzard that was supposed to hit, I was skeptical. But as the storm got closer and the estimated snowfall kept getting higher and higher, I was excited. We'd had basically no snowfall to speak of this winter, so we were ready for some serious dumping.
Friday evening, snow just starting.
It was supposed to last for over 24 hours straight.
Saturday morning.
It was hard to estimate the snowfall because the wind was blowing it like crazy.
Blizzards call for cinnamon rolls.
Or cinnamon roll pancakes, if you're lazy like me.
Jon is an excellent father and braved the storm to play with the kids.
They didn't last long with the wind and huge drifts.
Saturday afternoon.
We used to have a back patio.
Russian Jon heads out to take on the driveway.
Again.
Sunday morning, backyard.
Cul-de-sac
No front porch.
No driveway (despite Jon's shoveling).
No road.
Total snowfall was around 30 inches.
Aaron was in no way interested in going out to play in the snow.
I suppose the snow being up to his neck had something to do with it.
Monday afternoon we had our first plow sighting.
It didn't do much, but it was better than nothing!
Watching the plow from the mountain of snow on our driveway.
Seth spent most of his time chasing around the neighbor kids and trying to start snowball fights.
The big plow!
We're saved!
Little girl in a huge pile of snow.
A pregnant wife means you have to shovel the entire stinking driveway by yourself.
It's easy to climb trees when there are 4 ft. drifts underneath them.
Poor Seth.
He needs some neighbor friends who are actually home and come out to play.
This was a familiar sight for the next few days.
Snowplows just weren't able to handle the volume of snow, so it was front-end loaders to the rescue!
As far as blizzards go, this was a perfect one. It started at night, on a weekend, so no one was trying to get home from school or work. There were no widespread power outages in our area, so everyone was warm and dry. And the weather after the blizzard passed was ridiculous. Sunny, mid-40s, gorgeous! The only issue was the snowplows--some people were stuck in their homes until Wednesday. School was cancelled all week, and Jon even got out of a day and a bit of work.
Now I think we can say we've had our fill of snow for the winter!




















1 comments:
What an adventure! I'm hoping for no snow while I'm there. I am not a confident snow driver...
Post a Comment