Monday, March 7, 2016

February Begins

If you're going to get a blizzard and end up with 30 inches of snow in 24 hours, it's best to follow up with a week of gorgeous sunshine and temperatures in the mid-40s. No need to shovel those sidewalks when the sun will melt it for you!  Also, huge, huge puddles everywhere:
Aaron was so happy

Princesses like puddle jumping, too

Brothers bonding over electronics. Better than fighting over electronics, I suppose: 

Then there was the adventure of the flat tire:

Our van has a sensor that tells us when the tires are getting low. Sounds great, but it's been acting up: telling us the tires are low when they're fine. We've taken to just ignoring it. 

We headed out to preschool that morning and the light turned on, as it usually did. I ignored it, also as usual. I was sitting in the turn lane to merge onto I-95 when a truck pulled up next to me and told me my tire was basically completely flat. Awesome. 

I had nowhere to go but the on-ramp. I immediately pulled over and assessed the damage. Totally flat with a large screw stuck in it. Ugh. Luckily Jon was in town this time and headed over to rescue us. I was not changing a tire by myself at nine months pregnant. 

Of course, by the time he got there it had started to rain. A nice, cold rain. First the tire wouldn't come off and we had to drop the van off the jack in order to get it off. Jon finally got the spare on and I climbed in to drive to the repair shop.

Dead battery. Awesome. Jon drove off to get the jumper cables while I sat there listening to Aaron scream in the backseat. Which was when an MTA truck pulled up behind us. The poor driver took pity on us and used a jumper box to get the van started again. I thanked him profusely over Aaron's screams before slowly driving away. On the freeway. I'm sure everyone on the 95 hated me that day. 

The day ended well, though. Not only did the kids get Dunkin' Donuts out of it (the tire shop was right next to one), but the tire shop was having a deal and we got the tire fixed for FREE. Also, I didn't go into labor. Winning all around!

Catherine took this picture of the flat tire.
It's Aaron's favorite picture to look at. 

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

Now after driving from your house to the preschool, I realize exactly where you were. NO FUN!