This year at Christmas the Church leaders asked us to "light the world" with acts of service. I loved the idea of serving, but didn't feel comfortable posting it all on social media. I also didn't follow the calendar of service activities, just tried to serve where I saw I need.
One day, early in the month, I was thinking about who could really use some service. A name popped into my head and I was surprised: I didn't think that person needed anything right now. But then I remembered that she had lost a baby around this time seven years ago. I looked up the date only to find that it was the next day. I was able to get her some small gifts and give them to her on that hard day. I'm so grateful for the Spirit's guidance at exactly the right time.
I told Seth & Catherine about her baby and they both had a lot of questions. Catherine drew this picture for her. On the bottom is the family and they're sad because their baby died. Their hearts are breaking. Near the top is the baby buried in the ground. But later they're happy because their baby is an angel and she's in heaven. Also, random numbers. I thought it was a very sweet depiction of her understanding. The baby's mom loved it as well.
(Dec. 8, 2016)
Seth came up with a service project all on his own. One of the counselors in the Primary Presidency is expecting a baby in February. He announced to her that he was going to bring her dinner because she was pregnant. She told me about it and we both kind of laughed, thinking it was sweet. But Seth wasn't kidding--he was going to bring dinner. In fact, he was bringing her broccoli cheese soup. It's his favorite meal so he was sure it would be her favorite as well.
Dec. 9, 2016: Chopping broccoli for the soup
With Sister Koukoulis (who made me swear this wouldn't be on social media.
Good thing no one reads blogs anymore!)
Jon's act of service was a gift to his brother Jacob, who's serving a mission in Salt Lake. We were on Etsy one night and stumbled across some ornaments with Patrick Swayze on them. Since Jacob has a rather strange obsession with Patrick Swayze, Jon decided Jacob needed an ornament. Thanks to Pinterest, I was able to put it together pretty easily. Jacob loved it: he said it was one of only two ornaments on their little tree:
(Dec. 12, 2016)
Probably our biggest service has been helping our good friends. Their daughter was in the hospital for nearly a month being diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder and a severe blot clot. They have two little boys near Aaron's age, so trying to juggle hospital runs was complicated. Thankfully my schedule was really open and I was able to watch the boys several times.
Aaron LOVED having Paul & Luke over. He and Luke, especially, play so well together. In fact, they may play a little TOO well. This is what the closet looked like after the two of them got into the Legos:
Dec. 13, 2016: It's even more depressing when you know that we
had them all sorted by color before they were dumped...
Elise LOVED swimming in the Legos.
I think she must be some kind of mutant: she's clearly incapable of feeling pain.
Melissa (like me) has a hard time asking for help and felt so bad leaving us with the boys so often. I told her I think Heavenly Father knew she would need my help--I had all my Christmas shopping and wrapping finished at the beginning of the month, and my schedule was surprisingly clear. It all worked out perfectly.
We also made & dropped off Christmas treats to friends and neighbors. Catherine was my best helper, but Seth was there to help glaze the lemon cookies. He may have wanted to quit after glazing ten, but I convinced (commanded) him to stick it out until the end:
(Dec. 18, 2013: Seth's face...sigh...)
I loved the focus on service this Christmas--I think it's a tradition we'll try to incorporate every year from now on.







1 comments:
I love the cheese broccoli dinner - go Seth man!
Post a Comment