Monday, March 13, 2017

Catherine at Six

Dear Miss Catherine,

I know you're ready to be six, but I'm still struggling with it. I had just barely accepted that you were five! 

You have grown up so much this year. I'm not sure if it's kindergarten or just the age, but you are not a little girl anymore. You are so independent. You always have been, but you need me less and less every day. Bittersweet.

Your teachers at school and church always pass along compliments about your sweetness and your good behavior. You love school, especially "centers." I thought kindergarten would be a hard year, but you are thriving.
Feb. 7: Dressed up as an old lady for the 100th day of school

You still enjoy playing Minecraft with Seth, but you're my only kid so far who willingly gives up the electronics to go create or play independently. You're always making giant messes in the office with paper, tape, glue & markers. 

You are a wonderful big sister. You adore Elise and are always happy to help keep her entertained. There have been mornings where I come up the stairs to find you in her room, keeping her happy until I can get her out of her crib. You love to tell her how much she looks like you and how she'll get all your clothes when she gets "five or six."
Feb. 20

You're still my little helper--you love to be in the kitchen with me. Hopefully helping me is still interesting here in 5-10 years...

You love music. You begged and begged me for piano lessons until I relented. You also love playing Just Dance with me (and you usually crush me, despite my practicing). You'll also come home from school singing little bits of pop songs you've learned from your friends. 

Your reading has really taken off. I love finding you snuggled up with a book! You still need help with unfamiliar words, but you're even reading the Book of Mormon with us in the mornings now. 

You still have Daddy wrapped around your finger. Many nights you'll be "too tired" to walk upstairs to bed, so Dad will carry you like a princess to your room. 

You & Seth are great friends. Probably best friends. Yes, you fight and tease each other, but you love playing together. When I have one of you home sick from school, you get lonely missing the other. 

Not sure if I can entirely blame Seth's influence, but your love of Elsa and Frozen is waning. It makes me a little sad to see that part of your childhood get left behind already. You don't need to rush to grow up, little girl! It will happen too fast as it is. 

We love you, little miss. Thank you for the joy and excitement you bring to our family. Here's to a great six-year-old year!

Love, Mom

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

Still a creative soul. Love her!