Monday, March 13, 2017

One Year

(Feb. 20)

Little Lise-a-Bug,

I blinked and you were one already. Knowing that it would come quickly didn't seem to slow time down at all. We are so blessed to have you in our family, sweet girl.

We are all so grateful for your sweet, happy personality and your easygoing nature. Your siblings all adore you. Even Aaron, who spends most of his time pestering you. He's the first one to say "I go get Lise-a-Bug?" when he hears you waking up. 

You are your daddy's sunshine. You love him best, and it makes him so happy. Once he's home, you're in his arms basically all evening. If he ever has to hand you off to me, it takes quite a bit of persuading and usually some force to get you to release him. 

You love being where your siblings are. If they go down to the basement without you, you'll sit at the top of the stairs and yelp or whine until someone takes you down.

I love you, Tiny Bug. I love your red hair, your blue eyes, your chubby cheeks. I love your tiny toothy grin and the way you cling to us like a little monkey after you wake up. You are a sweetheart and we love you so. Happy birthday, my little one.                Love, Mom

Here's what you're up to at a year old:

*you've mastered the art of crawling up the stairs and can go down if properly positioned. There was one day when I thought you had it figured out all by yourself, but it didn't happen again. 

*you're still not even really close to walking yet. You were doing great practicing your independent standing, but then you got sick and quit. Hoping you'll pick it back up soon.
Feb. 17: Cleaning the church and practicing walking with Seth


*also no first word yet. You seem to maybe know that "Dada" is Dad, and you know what  the light is when we ask you, but you don't say anything besides a vague whisper and possibly a "t" sound. 

*most of the time you're very easy. But if you're tired or hungry or sick, you can be a bit irrational. This particular evening you required a medicine cup, a paint can opener, and the lime juice in order to be pacified:
(Feb. 1)

*weaning you was different from your siblings. Seth was happy to wean after he got milk. Catherine and Aaron weaned themselves early. You were weaning yourself during the day, but still wanted to nurse once or twice a night. I finally decided to force your hand. You went to milk cold turkey, by force. And you suddenly started sleeping at night. Punk. 
(Feb. 9)

*you're at the stage where you like to present us with various objects, then immediately take them back after placing them in our hands.

*you very much enjoy chomping the tops off the markers your siblings leave around:
(Feb. 15)

I finally decided it was time for the crazy little hairs to be trimmed:
(Feb. 19)

The little curl (don't worry, I saved it for her baby book):

*I should clarify: you're a mellow, easy-going kid AS LONG AS you can move around. You don't like being contained. Which is why I'm so glad our pediatrician keeps her supplies right above the table. All kinds of entertainment for wiggly babies
(Feb. 21)

*at your one-year appointment you were 18 lbs. 8 oz., 45 cm head and 30 inches long. Tall, thin, and a surprisingly small head for one of our kids. You did have to get three shots, but this time you got a sucker when it was over. Worth. It.

*shopping with you isn't actually as bad as this picture makes it look. I'm really focusing on the pens in your hand. You always snag the one I use to check off my shopping list, so I have one I give you immediately to preempt this. But now it's not enough. You need ALL the pens:
(Feb. 22)

*with all this lovely weather we've been enjoying, you've developed a great love for the outdoors. You stand at our back door and just gaze outside, hoping someone will let you out. It's a little complicated since you still can't walk, so it has to be warm and dry outside before you can roam free. 
Feb. 24: Loving the playhouse our neighbors passed to us

Feb. 28: Finding your shoes in the shelf. 
Shoes and jackets bring you great excitement: you know you're going outside!

One day I'll get around to taking your one-year-old pictures (you have to get over your runny nose first!). We sure love you, little one. I'm so excited to see what this next year brings for you!

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

I can't figure out her hair color - auburn ish?