Oh, my Aaron. Life has been complicated for you lately. You've gone from being a pretty mellow, easy kid to a frequently angry, whiny kid. Our best guess is that you're frustrated about not being able to communicate as well as you want to. We're trying to figure out how to help, but in the mean time you (and I) spend a lot of time being irritated.
Which is why we're debating about taking you in for a more thorough assessment. Yes, you have speech delays and are getting (a pathetic amount of) help through the school. But you also have other delays in motor skills and comprehension that can't be explained by a speech delay. You've made HUGE progress in putting on and taking off your clothes, but everything is just so hard for you. It makes me sad.
Then there was potty training. We tried SO hard. You did pretty well as long as I set a timer on my phone. But you never, ever told us independently that you needed to use the bathroom. So I gave up. Until we get to that point, I'm not willing to do several loads of laundry every day.
You normally LOVE Sunbeams, but we had a rough day one week. Daddy had to come retrieve you because you were throwing a fit. As far as we can tell you were upset because you wanted to draw something and couldn't get it to come out right, nor could you tell your teacher what was wrong. A week or so later Kaia accidentally took you to Nursery instead of Sunbeams. I had no idea until I showed up for Nursery singing time. You were quite pleased with yourself and had no intention of returning to Sunbeams. Thankfully this Sunday you were happy to be back in Sunbeams again. Also, Sis. Grocott is a saint. She loves you and always fills me in about how you're doing in class. She even removed the toy lion from her bag because it scared you.
New fear: spiderwebs. My best guess is this started when you got stuck in one under the playset. You were too scared to pull your hand away so you just cried until I could get over there and pull your hand away. Now every time we come in the garage door you throw a fit because you don't want to walk up the garage stairs with the spiderwebs underneath. Eventually you take the stairs at a full Aaron run. I guess spiderwebs can't get you if you're going fast enough. Other fears: lions, sharks, and Elise eating your food.
Your imagination is starting to kick in. There was a week when every day you'd bring your animals to the table and demand that I feed them:
Collecting all the "A for Aarons" from our game
Another haircut. Still haven't figured out how to style your crazy hair.
The hair love still happens, but it's happening less and less.
I think I might actually miss it.
Some Aaronisms:
-Dad & I went on a date one night. When we got home, you announced, "I wanna go on a date. Go to da dance. Wiff Bekah!" Bekah was going to her middle school dance that evening. I think you would have made a great date!
-Catherine: "How do you spell 'party'?"
Aaron: "A-A-R-O-N!"
-You went through a stage where you responded to every question with, "What?" No matter how many times we repeated it: "What? What?" Or if we were really lucky, "Whush?" It sounds precious but it was really, really obnoxious.
I sure love you, my little Aaron.





1 comments:
Guessing he's not a fan of Spiderman?
Post a Comment