Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Help, PLEASE!

Dear Anyone who has kids, is having a kid, or knows lots of stuff about kid supplies:

I need your help. Much to my surprise, I am actually going to have a baby shower (which is a good thing, because otherwise you were all going to be subject to a "pity party" post by yours truly). However, I soon realized that I don't know anything about babies. Or nursing. Or the various products that come with these two subjects. You'd think I would have figured this out sometime before 33 weeks, but no.

SO...I need your help. Here's what I have:
Some clothes
Pack & Play
bassinet
glider
fake baby bjorn
Boppy
baby monitor
burp cloths
more blankets than this kid will ever use

Here's what I DON'T have, and need help figuring out what brand/type to get:
bottles
nursing bra (I really hope all brothers-in-law have stopped reading by this point)
nursing pump--for occasional use

I would love any and all input you can give me. Also, if there is something I absolutely need and don't have on this list, PLEASE tell me. By the way, I do realize we need a carseat, stroller, and changing pad. I'm not that bad of a mother-to-be. Oh, and diapers.

Please impart of your motherly wisdom and save my child from my ignorance.
Love, Megan

10 comments:

Brian said...

Okay so here's just a few things I thought of and remember that some thing work for one mom but others like different brands. I used the avent manual pump, I had the medela from the hospital and didn't like it near as much. Plus we were using the avent bottles so that made it easier. I know a lot of people love the Dr. Brown bottles but I've never tried them. I would register for as many onesies as possible,for diapers I swear by pampers for a boy at least and trust me I tried them ALL. For nursing bras I got mine from Target since they were the cheapest but motherhood maternity also has a big selection but more expensive. You'll need more nursing pads than you will ever imagine. I also would try to find either a swing or papasan of some sort because sometimes that's the only place they'll sleep. Check out craigslist in your area for stuff like that first. Okay that's all I can think of since it's been over a year now for me and I'm getting forgetful in my old age. Good luck!

Adrian said...

Hee hee, I'm first! Bottles: Avent is the best (and most expensive). Breast pumps: Medela makes really great breast pumps. Also expensive but by far the best out there. And honestly, you want a good one, even for occasional use. These are your breasts you're talking about. Don't forget to buy nursing pads, too. Nursing bras: I'd wait til your milk comes in to measure. You'll be surprised how many cup sizes you'll add, even if you already got bigger just with pregnancy. And you can also get nursing garments if you want.

Are you sure you don't need a wipe warmer? ;)

Cori said...

Oh Megan you crack me up! I love how honest you are! O.k. here are my list of items and advice. Humm...this may get a little long.
1. You need at least three sheet for you crib/bassinet/or whatever you are using. You will be shocked at how many times you have to change them (maybe invest in those water proof changing pads that you can put anywhere) Also, since you are having a boy something that I didn't know, but you have to tuck his little man-hood down when you put the diaper on otherwise he will pee out the top of his diaper.
2. One thing to pack in your hospital bag is baby nail clippers. Shocking, but some babies come out with like a full fledges set of long nails. The nurse told me that most mothers just bit their babies nails off. YUCK!
3. For nursing I would strongly suggest an automatic pump. I got one at target that was around $30 You will use it more than you think, especially during the first month or two when you are too sore to actually nurse. I loved the advent bottles (but my baby was never really gassy)-I've heard the Dr. Bonner (or something like that) bottles are good too. Make sure you get Milicon(sp.) drops because they really work to take gas away.
4. Ok,ok I', almost done. One thing that you might want to get from you baby shower is a nursing cover. Bad name but they are sometimes called Hooter-hiders! HaHa, but they are so nice to have especially when your little monster gets bigger and thinks it is hilarious to throw the blanket off in the middle of a crowded room (speaking from experience). Also starting buying lansinol(sp. the purple box) nursing pads now! In the biggest box you can find! You will leak milk in the beginning and lets just say that the cheapo brands do not do the job. Very embarrassing. And good luck with the nursing bra's because I never found on that I likes, but motherhood has a good selection and they are cheap. Have fun with nursing garments. HIDEOUS, but they totally do the job!!

ok, probably way more than you wanted to hear, but there is my two cents. If you want more I've got it!

Anonymous said...

The only things I'd point you toward are making sure none of your baby bottles have BPA. I haven't done a lot of research about this topic, but I've heard rumors that glass bottles may be the way to go these days.

Okay, things I'd suggest getting for "nursing complications." Nipple Shield: A little plastic thing that goes over the nipple so your baby sucks on it instead of you. It helped me a lot when I had cracked and bloody nipples. Downside: it is rumored to make latching on more difficult and to decrease your milk supply.

Breast Shells: Hard plastic circle looking things that you put over your nipples (not while nursing) to protect them from being rubbed by clothes or bra (which can be very painful when you're first sore and starting out). Caution: Do NOT wear these for long periods of time and NEVER wear them while you're sleeping. They can end up clogging a milk duct which can lead to mastitis.

Lansinoh or Lanolin: just a gel/cream thing to help soothe cracked nipples. ---They typically give this to you at the hospital.

*Talk to me when you're sore; I've heard of a few things to help out such as peppermint tea bags or saline-filled cotton balls... just little "homemade" remedies to help ease the pain a bit.

As far as breast pumps go I just got one from a lady in my ward who was done having kids. In fact, I've gotten a ton of free stuff that way. Check around your ward and see if someone out there is willing to unload some of their old stuff on you.

Holly said...

I don't have any advice since I'm in the same boat you are right now, but I just wanted to say thank you for writing this post so that I can also benefit from the advice given. :) I've read all the comments so far, and they have been very helpful! Thank goodness for other people's advice; I would have no idea what I was doing otherwise! Good luck to you!

Paula said...

I don't have too much to add that hasn't been mentioned. I can reiterate that I liked the medela hand pump and their hospital grade electric pump. I ended up having to pump for a couple months with Becca until she got the hang of it and I thought the medela one was good (as good as pumping can be...). But, I haven't tried anything else, so maybe another brand is in fact better. Also, I thought the bras at Motherhood were really good quality for a very reasonable price ($20ish). I had no idea what I was doing when I went into the store and the lady measured me (awkward! but pregnancy is awkward, what can you do), and she told me how much extra room I would need (though I realize that everyone is different). It was very helpful! I must say, I found the whole preparing to be a parent thing overwhelming. I was SO sure that I was forgetting something huge. I was so clueless. Then I had this epiphany (with the help of my husband), that stores weren't going to disappear when I had the baby. I know, quite the epiphany. I wanted to be as prepared as possible for the baby to come and get every little thing I could think of, but if I did forget something vital, I could send Brian to the store. Sorry, that was long for not having anything to add.

Wendy said...

Well, here I my thoughts. For bottles I used Avent, but Jocelyn hated bottles, so I don't know how great they are. She didn't like any bottles. Nursing bras I bought the sport bras at Target. Loved them and will get a couple more for this one. I used the Gerber ultra thin nursing pads and thought they worked well. This advice was from Mom in law. And buy many boxes. I'm thinking of starting my stash now! I did have to use a nipple shield, but they gave me one in the hospital. If you have trouble nursing, they might give you one, if not it's the medela brand. As for pumps, I used the Ameda Purely Yours electric pump. A little pricy at $150, but not as much as medela. I like that one though. I asked friends what they used. From what I've heard, if you go too cheap, it really hurts you!! Not worth it to me. Now you'll have to do the research and figure out what you want, but it seems you have a lot of ideas given to you. Good luck. It's pretty stressful trying to figure out what you need.

Megan Turnidge said...

Oh man, I hope someone has warned you how incredibly difficult nursing can be!! Allie wouldn't latch on, then it was painful until I got the hang of it, then she would bite, then she'd refuse to nurse...ugh! So, I am so glad I invested in a good pump. I have the Medela Pump n Style and it has been great! I now use it exclusively and have given up on nursing. I didn't plan on using it that much, but so glad I have it. You may find you'll need an electric in the future. I've heard manual ones hurt your hands. I can't imagine pumping like that. I pump 4 times a day (I really don't want Allie on formula) and it takes me anywhere from 10-20 mins, depending on how quickly I let down.

DO NOT use a pump from someone else!! It is not healthy. Milk can get in the pump. Doctors say the only pumps you can use that were used by someone else are the ones you rent from the hospital since they are built differently and milk can't get into the pump.

I use Avent bottles. No probs with gas, but Allie has never been that gassy.

Nursing bra: I don't use one anymore because mine was so annoying. I just unhook my bra and pull it up (but I don't nurse at church or anything...so different story). Nursing garments are ugly and weird, but a must.

Oh, and diapers: PAMPERS! Hands down! Allie leaked at least once a day when I tried Huggies and the Costco brand. She rarely leaks with Pampers.

Ali said...

I'll be sending you an e-mail via facebook post haste. Is it ironic that I'm nursing my son as I type you this message? How's that for an over share?

Jamie said...

You are so funny! I just got a list from a friend of mine do you want me to forward it to you? send your email address to jamie.ahlstrom@gmail.com
P.S you still look WAY to skinny to be due right next to me. . . I am huge! Do you guys have a name?
Also, I am taking a birthing class. IT is great for learning all the stuff people convinently "forget" to tell you about labor and delivery. Good Luck!
Jamie