Sunday, June 8, 2008

Random Snippets

I need to vent, and it's going to be here because Jon's not home.

First thing: I cut my hair yesterday. Like 12 inches of hair. I don't have a picture because I'm not sure I like it yet. I'm hoping once it's done being in shock that it will settle down a bit. I'm feeling much better about it today. When I left the salon yesterday I looked like Jennifer Aniston on the first season of Friends. It was terrifying. That's what you get when you're cheap (the total was $18). And yes, the hair went to Locks of Love, even though Jon tried to get me to sell it instead.

Second thing: I just got a package full of baby stuff from my old Young Women's leader. It's adorable, and way too generous. And for some reason now I want to cry.

Third thing: 34 week doctor's appointment today. Luckily I didn't have the female OBGYN. I dislike her immensely because she makes it perfectly clear that she is extremely busy and would rather not spend more time with me than necessary. I dislike her even more after today, because apparently she failed to tell me that I'm measuring small. Two weeks ago I was 2cm too small, now I'm 3cm. Which means they're worried about how the baby is growing and want to send me in for an ultrasound. Which means that I'm panicking (although not as badly as before, thank you, Adrian). I'm pretty sure I can chalk it up to this child's every-other-month growing spurts (this is an off month), but now I'm all nervous. And that makes me want to cry, too.

Fourth thing: I sliced the top of my thumb while opening said package. And I'm not putting a Band-aid on it because I want Jon to see it and feel sorry for me. I need some pampering.

And lastly, for Kristina:
More than you probably care to know about me:

Joys:
1. Being married to Jon.
2. My family (this includes the Bloods, too, of course). And I get to see all of them within the next two months!
3. Sleeping through the night (hasn't happened in a few months).

Fears:
1. Jon dying in a car accident on the way home from work.
2. Bees & wasps. I hate them, they hate me. I've been stung 4 times and had another attempt on my life yesterday. Luckily wasps eventually die when you drown them with Raid.
3. Not being able to manage a newborn and a load of piano students come September.

Goals:
1. Finish unpacking/cleaning this house.
2. Visit Europe. Someday.
3. Be one of those happy moms who have happy families and don't stress the small stuff.

Current obsessions/collections:
1. Can paranoia over labor and/or breastfeeding be considered an obsession?
2. Fried ice cream
3. Blogging. And getting comments from people. Because I need positive reinforcement, apparently.

Random surprising facts:
1. I'm actually quite artistic (watercolors, drawing, sculpture, music etc.). I just haven't done anything with my talents since high school. Which means I'm not even sure I have them anymore.
2. I hate black nylons and make fun of people who wear them.
3. Since graduating from high school I have moved 10 times within 4 different states--Utah, Arkansas, Iowa, and Maryland.

Odds are against me ever finishing the Hawaii blog. I'm awesome.

9 comments:

AnnEE said...

I wasn't going to comment, because I'm lazy, but because you need that reinforcement, I'll do it.

I love you. I'm excited to see your hair. Life is lamer when you're pregnant, I'm sorry you're having a rough day. You'll be great with everything- even when you get violated by a baby trying to gain sustenance from your body. :o)

Jen Bowen said...

Apparently I have the good timing to check your blog just after you post. Hopefully everything's good with the baby and his being a little small will just make delivery easier. I'm glad they're checking to make sure though. Once you figure out how to get your hair how you want it you better post pictures. I'm excited to see.

Also, I can definitely sympathize with paranoia over labor and breastfeeding. Have you been having the weird dreams about those things yet? Hang in there!

Kristina said...

Amen to getting comments! I adore comments, and try to be good about giving comments to the blogs I read so that I'll get them in turn! :D

And I'm totally with you on losing my talents. It's a sad, depressing thing...

Valerie Housley said...

Oh Megan....I love you! You just make me smile! Which then just makes me miss you even more. I don't know if you could possibly be more paranoid about the labor/breastfeeding than I was--hopefully that will bring you some comfort! Because, I am here to tell you that it is really NOT THAT BAD! I actually miss the whole hospital experience now. AND, I am also here to tell you that a C-Section is NOT THAT BAD either. Just push that morphine button and everything will be alright! :-) I was really really worried about breastfeeding too..."will my milk come in?" "what if it doesn't" "Will it really be possible to have it come in on me?" etc. etc....and my doctor told that if you worry about it too much it could affect your milk coming in...I know, sounds silly...but seriously, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. I was amazed mine came in, so if mine came in, so will yours...just don't stress yourself out over it, it's not worth it because there is nothing you can do about it, so don't waste your precious energy at that point in your pregnancy! IT WILL ALL BE GREAT AND PERFECT AND WONDERFUL AND YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT! :-) I love you.

Adrian said...

One of your joys is sleeping through the night? Well, something to look forward to in a couple of years! ;) I hope everything turns out okay with the ultrasound and stuff. I'm sure everything's fine. And I can't wait to see your hair. I cut mine short, too, it's just above my shoulders now. Yoroko made me do it.

Holly said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post of "random snippets." For some reason it made me think about when we were roommates at good old Hertage, and I realized that I miss you! You were always so fun to be around, and I miss your sarcastic humor and the fun ways you would tease Curt!

Anyway, I really am excited to see your hair, and I'm sure it looks way cute! Sorry that your baby is measuring small, but at least you get another ultrasound! Those are always so fun! And I know how you feel about random things making you want to cry. I'm hoping it's just the pregnancy thing and that it will go away after our bodies are back to "normal." Good luck, and keep us posted!

Ali said...

Oh Megan,
Reading this post resurrected my hormonal pregnancy feelings. I felt my worry of introducing Eliza to a sibling... guilt because she was 'still' my baby. I was passed the 'fear' of everything because as other Mom's have stated, it's not that bad. Really. You're in safe hands. You have a husband who holds the Priesthood and will be with you through everything. Humor helped me through the entire experience. Take advantage of the pampering that comes at the hospital. You're dealing with fears that are being accentuated by hormones and sleep deprivation. You totally can do this. I was never the 'babysitting, babies love me" type of person before, but that divine nature crap they pound into your head during Young Women's lessons is real. You'll be amazed at what you would do for this child. There is an opposition in all things... so as miserable as you may feel at times, hold out for the amazing joy that is your son. I love your honesty. It makes me feel normal.

Megan Turnidge said...

Ahhh...yes, sleeping through the night. I think I had to get up to pee 2 times a night at the end of my pregnancy. Ugh.
I was always told not to cut my hair when pregnant. I hope you end up loving your hair!
And, I think we all enjoy getting blog love! It makes me think I'm not talking to myself.

Megan Turnidge said...

Oh, and don't stress over measuring small. Tiana measured REALLY small. She looked 6 1/2 months pregnant when she gave birth. Her baby was fine (although pretty small, but not low birthweight)! And, she looked normal a month after the birth. Lucky ducky.