Thursday, June 26, 2008

Killing several birds with one stone

Adrian warned me fair and square that any long absences from my blog would be interpreted as "I've had the baby and am too dang tired to post anything." So, apologies to any of you who thought I had something exciting going on. In my defense, last week included a doctor's appointment (I HATE these every week visits), two full (7am to 6pm) days of babysitting, a baby shower, and a baptism on top of the regular weekly activities. This week is a bit calmer, thank heaven, so I actually have time to blog.

First of all, I would like to introduce you all to my new best friend. This is actually version 2.0--I finished off the first bottle last week. If it weren't for this little bottle, I would get absolutely no sleep at night. As it is, I take a swig before bedtime (yep, straight from the bottle) and lay down for a full night's sleep. Until I have to roll over. Or go to the bathroom. Or wake up at 3:10 am for no good reason.

Second, I officially had a baby shower! Let me explain the awkward situation I found myself in: we found out we were expecting two weeks after we moved to Maryland. This was all fine and good, until I considered the prospects of having a baby shower. Basically, I was living at least half a country away from anyone who would be likely to attend or host my shower. I actually really didn't care until I hit somewhere around 30 weeks. Then suddenly, I cared. But what do you do? Call up your friend from the ward that you've known for all of 7 months and con her into throwing you a shower?

Enter my visiting teachers. That's right--the poor girls who have been assigned to visit me every month. Just as I was despairing that I would be the only girl I know who didn't get a shower, they called me up and offered to host one. I could have kissed their feet. And so, last Saturday, I had my baby shower.

I spent a good majority of the night before pondering whether anyone would show up. Like I said, I've only been in the ward for 7 months, and I've been hidden in Primary for 5 of those months. I was really touched by how many people came and by their generosity. Plus, the food was amazing. I have the best visiting teachers ever. And they only played two games (I HATE shower games in all forms) and both games were very low-key. One game involved not saying the word baby, and the other one had them trying to guess how big my belly was using a piece of yarn. In retrospect, I've decided that game was designed specifically to flatter me, as almost everyone's string was significantly longer than my actual measurement.

So I had a shower. And it was great. Although I have to admit, it wasn't what I had always imagined. It was weird to not have a single member of my family or any of my really good friends there to celebrate with me. Basically, I missed you all. Why don't you move closer to me? Just for clarification--I didn't care so much about having a shower in order to score a bunch of gifts. It was more a matter of not wanting to be forgotten. So it was an ego thing, not a materialistic thing (although the presents didn't hurt).

Third, and Fourth (they're both covered by this rather horrible picture of me--seriously, why do I always look terrified in these belly shots?):(Third) I got a haircut. And it looks much cuter from the front. Jon wouldn't let me stand facing forward--he said you couldn't see my belly well enough.

(Fourth) I'm still pregnant. 36 weeks last Tuesday. I had an appointment yesterday, and let's just say this baby isn't coming anytime soon. And I will be switching OBGYNs after this is all over. Seriously--why do I even HAVE a scheduled appointment if you're not going to get me in to the doctor until an HOUR after I was supposed to be in?

I'll end on a good note: the baby is still head down (and will STAY that way, right baby?) and his heartbeat is fabulous. And still no name. Seriously. He'll get named before we leave the hospital, though. No way Jon will actually PAY to get the name changed.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

you are hilarious! I love how I can hear your voice from all the way accross th country when I read your posts. I get checked today for the first time, and I totally understand about the waiting forever for nothing thing! You made me excited to cut my hair! It looks cute! Good luck with the naming!

Holly said...

Megan, you look so cute! And your belly is so small! I love the haircut too! I'm glad you were able to have a baby shower, and I would have loved to be there. Seriously! Too bad we can't do a baby shower over the internet or something--then you could come to mine too. You look great; hang in there! (And please don't wait so long before posting again, because we really will think you've had the baby!) Good luck with the name game!

Jen Bowen said...

Yea! You posted again. I was wondering when we'd hear from you. I'm glad I have the RSS feed so I didn't need to get frustrated waiting for a post. Not like I can talk though since I'm not the best at posting. Sometimes there's not much to say.

You're looking great! Good job keeping the belly growth to the belly area. Is your little guy still really active? This whole slowing down thing I've heard about definitely hasn't happened yet.

I'm with you on the heartburn thing except I don't have the big aversion to Tums. I have to take a Tums every night before bed or I'm up after trying for half an hour to sleep but failing due to heartburn. I'm happy for that to be over.

I'm glad the baby shower worked out. It's always scary wondering if people will show up or not. Generous people also make it great so the baby can have cooler stuff than we would have bought for him. Good luck figuring out a name!

Adrian said...

I know what you mean about the baby shower. I didn't really want gifts as much as I wanted people to celebrate with me that I was having a baby! I'm glad you have such nice visiting teachers. And glad that they remembered the real point of showers of any sort, which is the _food_. :)

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

Megan, precious, you look stunning and happy. I love the hair! You definitely pull off short hair well. I'm glad you got to have a baby shower. If you ever come to visit me again we can have a belated one for you :D.