This past month has really put my cake decorating skills to the test. I love being able to do this--it's somehow become my only really creative outlet (scrapbooking is a chore for me, not a creative process).
First off, Marah's 19th birthday cake. Princess Jasmine was always her favorite, so I whipped up a cake. I'm pretty proud of myself, considering I got all the decorating done in just over an hour.
Third, Amber Lee's cake. Lenae has been helping me decorate my house (pictures will come when we're done) so I offered to make cakes for her kids' birthdays. Knowing Lenae, she could have just done it herself and it would have been perfect, but she asked me to make Amber Lee's cake. I'd never done a 3D cake before and was a bit nervous. But after one disaster where the cake didn't come out of the pan, the rest went fabulously. I'd like to thank the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack for keeping me awake until 1am so I could finish. I was really pleased with how it turned out. My favorite part was when I dropped it off at their house. Amber Lee examined the cake, turned to me and said, "How did you know exactly what I wanted?" I told her I read her mind, and she ran back into the kitchen and told her dad, "Did you hear that? She read my mind!"

Last cake: Seth's. I wanted to do a train cake since he loves the book Freight Train by Donald Crews (if you haven't gotten this book for your child, give yourself a good talking-to and then go buy it. It's great). I was just going to do a drawing on a round cake, but then Heidi showed me a train cake she'd made out of pound cake and Cool Whip. So I did that instead, and I LOVE how it turned out.


Seth seemed to like it, and I know Sommer's boys LOVED it, so I guess it was a hit. Now I have to wait until December to make another cake (sigh).



12 comments:
Wow Megan! You never cease to amaze me with your talent! Those are incredible. They sure beat my sheet cakes with plain chocolate frosting spread on them! :)
I will have to check out that book. Weston loves cars and trains, so we will see if he enjoys it. Any other books you recommend for that age? We just have a bunch of board books and Weston destroys them all, so I am afraid to go out and spend money on books but I need to. He is finally starting to appreciate them though and will sit down with me and look at them. He still won't let me read to him. He has to move the pages too quickly. Luckily Natalie will sit and listen to me. :)
Wow, those cakes were so awesome. I could never dream of doing stuff like that, it would be a disaster! So I am SO impressed. Well done! They were all awesome!!!
I am SO impressed! I wish I could do that! How did you learn it or is it all natural?
Awesome!
Megan Blood... LOOK AT YOU! From melting butter all over the microwave to a bona fide pastry chef! Those cakes are gorgeous. And are those MY LITTLE PONIES on the second cake?? That's SO SWEET! I want one. LOL.
You have got talent Megs! I only wish you lived closer so you could make cakes for me!
Megan--you are amazing. I am VERY impressed! How much would it cost for me to fly you out here to make Tucker's first birthday cake??? (Too bad it's more than we could afford.)
Why do you have to wait until December to make a cake? :-)
You are insanely talented. I mean, those are SO good. Did you seriously free hand Jasmine? Wowzas.
Ok, enough with the ego massage.
I wrote an outline of my series... well, I've started an outline. I've outlined about a book's worth so far. Let me know if you want/have time to read it. (Don't feel obligated, please!!)
You are simply amazing, that all I can say about that!
Your cakes are AMAZING! No wonder you've been so busy.
The cakes look great! I've been trying to come up with an excuse to make a cake lately.
Post a Comment