Saturday, January 8, 2011

Please Tell Me...

..what in the world is going on with me?  I'm driving myself (and Jon, and my family) crazy trying to figure out what this baby is doing.

Yesterday afternoon I went into the hospital because I had been having contractions every 5 minutes for over an hour.  They weren't painful, but they were definitely coming from my back instead of just my abdomen like the Braxton Hicks I get all the time.  I was 70% sure they would send me home, but better safe than sorry, right?

Obviously, they did send me home, which is good since I'm only 35 weeks.  But my doctor said that should I go into labor, he wouldn't stop it.  That makes me a little less nervous about things.

But...the contractions didn't stop.  They didn't get stronger, but they didn't stop.  They were coming every 2-3 minutes until 2am last night.  At that point I got in the tub for a couple of hours and things seemed to calm down.

As of today, I haven't had very many contractions in my abdomen. But my back is just aching--throbbing.  I've felt slightly nauseous for two days, and I have absolutely no appetite.  I'm feeling a lot of pressure, which is no surprise since, as my doctor said, 'her head is really low.  That's not going to be comfortable for you.'  (She dropped two days ago--goodbye heartburn!).

So now it's the guessing game--am I in labor?  Is the back pain just because she's sitting so low, or is it back labor?  Why in the world is my appetite gone?  At this point I swear I'm not going back to the hospital until my water breaks or I have some other undeniable sign of labor.

But if my back is going to feel like this for the next 5 weeks, I'm going to kill someone.

Any insights?  Anyone else been through this?  This is NOTHING like I went through with Seth--he was textbook 'Braxton Hicks contractions become stronger and more painful' type labor.  I didn't have back pain with him until I was already at the hospital.

At this point all I want is to go into labor or I want the pain to go away.  I will gladly wait another 5 weeks as long as I don't have to feel like this in the meantime!

Tell me what you think!

8 comments:

Christine said...

with Max I had lots of braxton hicks but they never progressed me past a one. Turned out he was posterior so when I was induced it was ALL back labor. She could be laying posterior and that's why you're having so much back pain. The only thing that helped with me was lots of stretching on my hands and knees and baths like you said. I'm sorry you're in pain though, but I really am willing to bet you're close! Good luck. :)

Kellie said...

With Ian, I went to the hospital at 37 1/2 weeks because of strong contractions less than 5 minutes apart for several hours, and was sent home when they started to slow down. From that time until he was born at 39 weeks, I had periods of contractions less than 5 minutes apart every day, but they would always slow down.

He turned out to have his hand and arm up over his head, which I think was why things would start and stop (either because his hand made it happen, or I was ready to go into labor, but without his entire head engaged, it just could't get going). In retrospect, I wish I'd had an ultrasound to check his position, although it may have ended up in a c-section, so in some ways I'm glad I didn't. I'm sorry it's painful and stressful and not fun. Hang in there!

Caitlin said...

You poor thing! Hang in there. Crawl around, it will get the pressure off your back. If you continue to have contractions, I would just call your doctor and get checked out at their office. Better safe than sorry. Trust me. I would even have Jon give you a blessing so you will know when you need to go to the hospital. The good thing is that she isn't too small and you are close to being considered full term, so she should be fine. Get a blessing, breathe, and call your doctor if it keeps up. BIG HUGS!

HeavenlyHome said...

Ugh. It can't last 5 more weeks. It just can't. And don't make any silly promises like "I won't go unless my water breaks...." if you feel concerned or needing help or even reassurance or pain control....GO TO THE DR, HOSPITAL,whatever...let's err on the side of caution, ok?

And you can get as many blessings as you want!

Prayers are in abundance for you from many!

Adrian said...

I have bad news for you. My sister-in-law, who was due same time as you, delivered last night. She was 36 weeks. :) Look out!

Christy said...

I think she's anxious. Otherwise, I have no idea.
And what I think with the new chapters is that I'm making great progress. I'm even waking up with storyline in my head that I have to write down before I can sleep again. It's kind of a cool thing.
But, I want to pull the storyline all back together again. I've changed a bunch of stuff that means that I have to change the existing stuff... etc. You get the picture. In closing: I'm not done yet.

Diane said...

My lower back (mostly in my tail bone area) was sore like your describing for about 2 weeks before my water broke. The night before Madison was born it was worse than it had ever been and I was thinking that I couldn't take the pain for another 4 weeks. I was sooo ready to have her, and then my water broke the next day! Hopefully you'll have her soon, I think that's the only way you'll really start feeling better! We'll keep you in our prayers!

Wendy said...

My doctor told me that baths either stop the labor or get it progressing. With Megan I had contractions every 5-10 minutes. Then I took a bath and it went every 2-3 minutes. I had her that day. With Jocelyn I had horrible back labor. I hope it doesn't last that long for you. It's so painful you just want to scream.