I promise I won't be doing weekly updates forever. They're mostly for me anyway--so next time (in many, many years) I will remember what life was like at three weeks with a newborn.
*Baby books are written for parents with no other children. Suggestions like, 'take your baby into a dark, quiet room and soothe her until she can fall asleep' are great until you factor in your two-and-a-half year old who insists on crashing his cars underneath your glider while you try to soothe...
*Best sleep books I've found: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and The Happiest Baby on the Block. Between those two I'm feeling pretty good about her sleep habits (meaning I don't expect much consistency until about three months but I have a good idea of how to calm her down when she's getting overtired).
*Three nights in a row she's given us a long chunk of sleep--two six hour nights, one seven hour. My tired body is loving it; my crazy mom instincts are worrying that she's not getting enough to eat. So far my body is winning the debate about waking her up.
*She seems to go in cycles of about three days--every three days she will have a long period of time where she is just totally exhausted but too wired to fall asleep. She will fuss when I try to nurse her to sleep: all she wants is a pacifier and someone to hold her. Works great when there are two parents at home. When Jon is at a meeting until 9:30 pm, she has to do some screaming in her swing while I put her brother to bed. I'll get her to sleep for 15-30 minutes, then she'll wake up and cry because she's so tired. But the next step in the cycle is lots of sleeping to make up for it.
*She LOVES to be held. Seth never really did, so this is kind of sweet (except when she insists on napping in my arms--even 8 pounds gets heavy after a couple of hours).
*She also LOVES being swaddled. She'll calm right down as soon as we get those little arms contained.
*I bought her two pairs of newborn pants--purple stretch pants and jeans. Why is it so stinking hard to find baby girl clothes that AREN'T pink? They had four different shades of pink pants...
*I need to take more pictures. But we're just sitting at home all day hanging out (okay, we do run errands and go to the park, but it's been too cold and rainy for much of that this week). And my mom will be here next week (!!!!) to compensate for my laxity.
*All my maternity clothes are packed away. Hooray! Now if it would just warm up so we could go on walks and I could get some exercise... It's frustrating being back to pre-pregnancy weight but still not quite the same pre-pregnancy shape...
Friday, March 11, 2011
Three Weeks (and 300 posts, apparently)
at 2:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love your weekly posts! So glad you're getting good chunks of sleep! Calvin has reversed--he was doing 4 & 5 hour chunks, and now he's down to 2 or 3 hours. Boo. Glad Catherine is getting better for you, not worse. :) And hooray for your mom coming into town next week! And yes, parenting books are for parents with only one child. The toddler running around with his own schedule has a tendency to mess things up...
thats great that shes slept that much at night for you already! brooklyn is just starting to do 7-8 hr stretches. in the beginning she was up every 2 hrs! where did you get the newborn size pants? newborn clothes are so hard to find! the only decent place ive found is carters. i totally know what you mean about being back to prepregnancy weight but not shape. so frustrating! i definitely went back way quicker with sierra. it feels like it will take me a year to get rid of this hideous roll when i sit down. maybe ill just stand for a year. haha
She is so cute. I bet you are glad to have your mom coming to help. She will probably want to take over the baby so you can have some Seth time.
Post a Comment