Monday, March 28, 2011

Sethisms


I figured it's about time I spent a little blog time on Seth.  Poor kid is being neglected at home--wouldn't want to neglect him on the blog, too!

So here's Seth, at a little over two-and-a-half:

*He is still VERY much into cars.  But now he wants to know their names and what they "say."  Luckily he hasn't caught on to the fact that I only know how to make five different car sounds and just rotate through them...

*Actually, he does this with pretty much everything right now.  "What's that?" "It's a woodpecker." "What a woodpecker say?" "[insert woodpecker sound here]"  Sounds cute and easy, until he asks you what a basketball says, or a cloud, or his cereal, etc.

*He loves taking his fingers and running them up your arm or across your face.  "It a spider."

*We've been watching a LOT of youtube videos of race cars and monster trucks.  Jon taught him how to use the mouse on my laptop and he can actually pick his own videos now!

*Newest phrase that will offend Grandma: "What the crap?"  We really don't say this very often, so I have no idea where it came from...



*Yes, we are still using a pacifier.  I'm currently not willing to give up anything that means more sleep for me.


*He's in that awkward limbo between 2T and 3T clothes.  He's either walking around in floods or his pants are rolled up.

*Potty training is (possibly?) starting to stick.  Thanks to a friend's suggestion to bribe him with prizes along with another friend's suggestion to try the Ikea potty (and the Once Upon a Potty book), we now have a mostly potty-trained boy!  We're still not sure it's going to stick--he's currently running around in a Pull-Up just to be safe.  But it's leaps and bounds from last week's "I can't" or "I don't want to."

*All he wants to eat right now are "Cars" or "Buzz and Woody."  That's what I get for bribing him with Disney mac & cheese at Wal-Mart.

*His imagination is so fun right now.  The clip on Catheirne's pacifier?  A dragon.  The clouds outside?  Elephant clouds.  Wearing my belt around his shoulders?  An astronaut (no idea).  We love to eavesdrop on his conversations while he plays with his cars...

*His favorite cars are the "oh goodness" cars.  We have absolutely no idea what qualifies a car as an "oh goodness" car, but he knows exactly which cars qualify and which don't--and it doesn't change.

*At naps and bedtime he gets to choose three books to read.  Inevitably, his first two choices are "The Big Race" and "Tour the Town"--both Cars books.  Jon and I are sick to death of them, but he will not be persuaded to try anything else.

*We weren't sure how Seth would handle Catherine using all of his old baby stuff.  Luckily he seems to have no memory of most things ever being his.  The only things he's been possessive of  are his diaper changing mat and his bath soap.  But he's gotten over that really quickly.  He's also possessive of 'Seth's new van.'  Jon had to take it to work the other day and Seth was hysterical: "That's MY new van!"

*He loves Catherine.  Specifically, he loves snuggling up to her face so that she'll try to eat his hair or nose, watching her get her diaper changed, and yelling 'DAH!!!' when she's trying to fall asleep.

*He's such a chatterbox.  All day long he's talking to himself while he's playing or he's talking to us.  Of course, he's currently driving us nuts by saying 'Huh?' after every question we ask.  "Seth, what do you want to eat?"  "Huh?"  "What do you want to eat?"  "Huh?"  "Do you want some noodles?" "Huh?"  It drives us batty.  May this phase pass quickly.


*My mom bought him a little tricycle.  He's almost got the pedaling figured out--all he needs is another half-inch and some warm weather so he can practice

I can't believe how lucky we are to have such a good boy.  I was so worried about how I would handle a newborn and a toddler, but it has been SO much easier than I expected, and it's all because of Seth.  He is so good at entertaining himself--I never have to worry about what he's doing while Catherine is nursing (usually because he's at my feet playing cars).  And he still has never shown any resentment toward her--he just accepted her as a permanent fixture right from the beginning.  He's been a total blessing.  I have no idea what I would have done if he had been difficult.  I love you, Seth Man.

4 comments:

Kellie said...

What kind of prizes are you using for potty training? I think we need some extra motivation over here...

Megan and Jonny said...

Just cheap dollar store stuff--cars, bubbles, play-dough, etc. And candy. First he chose all the cars, now he's working on the candy. Apparently the balls and sand toys he picked out just aren't as interesting as peach rings and M&Ms...

Adrian said...

Wow, what a sweet boy you have! I'm glad that he's made the transition to two kids so easy for you. It sounds like you're totally enjoying him. And good work with the potty-training!!

Aaron Blood said...

I love Seth man too. Especially when he invites me to play cars with him, but never lets me touch the cars.