Saturday, April 19, 2014

My Big Boy

Seth is currently transitioning from little kid to big kid, which is a bittersweet thing for me. Big milestone #1: learning to ride without training wheels: 
Dad did a great job getting Seth started

After a few moments of frustration (mostly the getting started part), he was off!

And since that day (it's been less than a week), Seth has been on his bike at every possible waking moment. He's moved from struggling to get started to riding his bike down curbs and with his feet propped up on the bar. He came in today with the top of his hands sunburned from all the riding he did today.

(And let's not forget the Princess, who is working on simultaneously pedaling & steering):

Daddy gives Catherine pointers, too.

Back to my Seth!

Big milestone #2: we have a loose tooth! He's been hoping for one for so long that I didn't believe him until he made me wiggle it myself.  I found myself surprisingly shocked by this development. It's funny the things that you find yourself unprepared for as your kids keep growing up. 

Big milestone #3: reading. Legitimate reading. He'll still stumble over words now & then, but I'm calling it. I'm very proud of him.

And now, some Sethisms for good measure:

*Seth, watching President Packer's conference talk:
"Wow. He's talking for a really long time. He's probably going to die." 
Ooookay, then...

*Seth's entertainment during Conference: rigging up a noose and executing Catherine the Baby Deer. He claimed she was just "hanging out."

*While playing "He-Man" today, it was discovered that neither Daddy, Seth nor Aaron has long enough hair to be He-Man. Catherine's hair, on the other hand, is too long. But guess whose new haircut is just the right length?
PROS: I get to run around yelling, "I HAVE THE POWER!!!"
CONS: I look really weird with a deep tan and bulging muscles.

*One night Catherine was being a stinker about cleaning up. After some serious threats, she still wasn't budging. Seth couldn't stand the pressure and offered to do her work for her. Despite the teasing and tormenting, he does love his little sister. 

2 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

Seth volunteering to clean, especially for his sister - that is growing up!

Pierce Family said...

Love the stories! So glad Seth knows who He-man is...every boy should! And Noah is just learning to ride his bike without training wheels so way to go Seth...or rather should I say way to go, Jon, since it's really the parent who makes it happen, right? Yeah, we're slackers over here.