Thursday, August 25, 2016

Seth's Baptism


Last December the Primary President asked if I would lead the music for the Eight is Great fireside. We had family in town, so I was planning to decline. And then I realized that SETH would be turning eight and I would have to be there anyway! It was such a shock. Eight seemed so far away...

It turns out that July is a really hard time to schedule a baptism. Between a wedding and a new baby, none of our extended family could attend. And, due to vacations, many of our best friends were out of town and couldn't be there either. I was more sad than Seth was--he had no idea. 

I gave him free reign to plan his baptismal program. Some of his choices were standard: former adored Primary teacher giving a talk, another acting as a witness, another giving a prayer, favorite song 'Gethsemane' as the closing song.  Some were fun surprises: "The Fourth Article of Faith" for opening song, a random friend's dad giving a talk, taffy and Jolly Ranchers for refreshments.  But it was all 100% Seth!  He even got to make some last-minute decisions when people didn't show up, and he loved having that kind of power.

I got to lead the music (sometimes it's just easier that way) and give the opening prayer when Catherine backed out last minute. His sweet teacher and surrogate grandpa John Anthony spoke on baptism and mentioned how he felt that he and Seth were friends before they came to earth. Dan Carmany bribed him to listen to his talk on the Holy Ghost with Lindt truffles (which Seth somehow managed to drool down his white shirt). President Brady spoke briefly and told of a time when Seth was little and stopped him in the hall just to say, "I love you, Bishop" (he was our bishop at the time).  It was so nice to see how many people were willing to take time away on a busy summer Saturday to show their love for Seth. 

Jon was able to baptize Seth (twice--we had a rogue foot the first time) and give him the gift of the Holy Ghost and a blessing. In the blessing circle were Jon, Dan Carmany, President Brady and Bro. Cowart. I'm so grateful for Jon and for all he does to be a good father and worthy priesthood holder.  

I hope Seth understood the significance of that day. He was a little excited and crazy, which is how he gets when he's the center of attention. 

After the refreshments were devoured by swarms of hungry children, we had Bente snap a few pictures for us before we left. This one pretty much sums up my crazy children that day:

Talia insisted that she needed a picture with Catherine.
There was a time these two didn't quite mesh, but now they're great friends!

Our family.
Please note that only 1 out of 4 children have shoes on:

After we got home, Seth got to open some of his baptism gifts from friends and family. He was quite pleased to be getting more presents so soon after his birthday!

Opening his card:

Reading a message from Grandma Cathy:

He thought this baptism plaque with his picture was pretty great:

He LOVED the CTR ring from his teachers, the Bradys:

We love you, Seth Man!
We are so proud of you and the good choices you're making!

2 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

Taffy and Jolly Rangers - great choices:)
Love the picture of Talia and Catherine!

Kellie said...

A second love on the refreshments! Way to let his personality shine through and make the day a little easier.