Friday, August 26, 2022

It's Always Fun When Grandma(s) Come

My mom is always so busy with her job and her other job as a temple worker that we were thrilled when she was able to come stay with us for a week or so! We timed it so that her trip would coordinate with the DC Temple open house. She was born in DC while her parents were living here, so it's a special place for her. 
Outside the temple with Grandma Cathy

We went over Memorial Day weekend, which is crazy town. But it also meant that Grandma Sara was able to come with us as well! 

Outside the temple with Grandma Sara

The lines were long (I think it may have been the busiest day they had), but they moved quickly. I still didn't like how rushed it felt, but I'm glad I had the chance to go twice. Not sure how much the kids got out of it, but sometimes I think just the effort of going helps them realize how important it is. 

Grandma Cathy and some little Bloods.
Pretty sure there's a Timmy back there holding Elijah.
I don't think he's clinging to Grandma's back like a monkey. 

Since we studied modern history this year in school, I knew I wanted to take Seth to the Holocaust Museum in DC. I got to go in 8th grade and I remember it as one of the most vivid experiences I had that entire trip (and we saw a lot). I also felt like 8th grade was about the right age for it to not be overwhelming, but also not so calloused that it didn't hit hard.  

Seth was not thrilled. "Great. First I get to be bored (open house), then depressed (Holocaust Museum)." We also had some stress since we had timed tickets and traffic was a mess. But we made it just in time! 

I was worried because we were in there with a huge group of high school kids who were kind of dorking around. But within five minutes of entering the exhibit, they all got very somber. It's just not the kind of place where you can be silly. 

When we exited, Seth and I found a place to just sit and be still while we waited for the grandmas to finish. Everyone who exited was quiet. I asked him if he understood now why I wanted him to come, and he said yes. So I think it was a successful visit! 

We did a bit of sight-seeing on our way back to the car (much to Seth's dismay). Grandma Cathy had him pose next to this Forest Service sign in honor of Bryan Bosworth:

Another happy pose by the Washington Monument:

Grandma Sara had to head back home to teach school, but we got to keep Grandma Cathy for a week! Unfortunately, Catherine tested positive for Covid the day after she arrived, so most of our plans were shot down. Instead we spent a lot of time chasing Elijah around the neighborhood while he mowed. Mom has a bunch of other pictures of our activities (like Kilgore Falls), but I didn't get any. It was a very quiet visit, but Mom said that's exactly what she needed. She spent a lot of time working on family history, which is awesome. We're so glad she made it out here!

0 comments: