All right, all right. When you get two comments in a 12 hour period implying that you need to update your blog, you should probably update it. Besides, I'm trying really hard to NOT go back to bed after Jon leaves for work and blogging keeps me awake more than reading the news does. So, in between slurping down some Ramen (the breakfast of champions), I'll fill you in on our Christmas festivities.
Christmas Eve
I don't remember much of what went on during the day, but I'm sure it was wonderful and amazing fun. Once it got dark, we all piled into the Avalanche (I can't remember which of us lost the seatbelt battle) and drove to Winterhaven. Basically, Winterhaven is a huge neighborhood that goes all out on Christmas lights/decorations. They give out prizes and everything. Walking around Winterhaven is one of our family Christmas traditions, as with most other Tucsonians. Jon (the little punk) was not that impressed. Apparently there was some neighborhood in his mission that REALLY went all out on the lights and Winterhaven had nothing on them. Party pooper. So instead, he just pestered my sisters (and they loved every minute of it). However, I think even Jon was impressed with the house who choreographed their lights and music, AND threw a water fountain display in the mix. Think Bellagio, except smaller and surrounded by what looked like black garbage liners.
After Winterhaven we headed back to the house to open the traditional one Christmas gift. Our rule is that the gift you select has to be "soft" (implying clothing). Jon got two polo shirts for work and I got two sweet sweaters.
At 12:30 am my sisters left to go newspaper folding (another Tucson tradition--the high school kids go help fold papers so that the delivery people can be home with their families on Christmas morning). I am, of course, way too old for that, so Jonny & I went to bed. Actually, Kenna's way too old for that, too, but she's easily persuaded when some cute boy drops an invite...
Christmas
Let me just say this: being the one who gets to wake up your siblings on Christmas morning is almost as much fun as opening presents. Turns out my sisters didn't get home until somewhere around 4 am, so seeing me & Jon's smiling faces at 8:30 am was quite a thrill. We planned our wake-up strategy carefully, starting with the sister who was least likely to tear our faces off (Marah) and working up to the other two.
After posing at the top of the stairs for the traditional picture (which will not be posted here--we Mikesells don't look so attractive in the morning, except Beth, who snuck and put on makeup. Cheater), we were finally allowed downstairs to see what Santa brought. And what Santa brought was an Xbox 360 for my dad (this will be pertinent later). Oh, and Disneyland tickets for the whole family!
Once breakfast was over, we sat around the tree and forced Bethany to sort all the gifts. I believe a good description of this Christmas would be "totally spoiled." Jonny got his long-awaited "No Loafing" sign (picture to come), and I got "The Little Mermaid" (thanks, Kenna!). And my dad got...another Xbox 360. We (my mom, sisters, and I) had planned this gift for months, and all contributed to the Xbox fund. My sisters even wrapped it with rolls of toilet paper to throw Dad off the scent. We were so excited to give it to him and then, right before we headed downstairs, he pulls one out of the trunk of the Avalanche and puts it in his pile from Santa. Darn that Santa! Dad was quite amused. He used the refund money to buy a bigger TV to accompany said Xbox.
Basically, it was wonderful. I loved being home for Christmas! And now I'll think about blogging about the rest of our vacation. I said "think about " it.
Monday, January 14, 2008
Christmas, part 2
at 5:30 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment