Monday, January 28, 2008

Confessions

LYNDA, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO READ THIS UNTIL YOU CALL ME BACK.

To be honest, I almost changed my mind about posting this today when I heard about President Hinckley. Please don't think I'm trying to somehow shift the focus to me--I just figured I'd better get this up before word spread too quickly.

So I have a confession to make--I've been lying to you. In fact, I've been lying to some of you for a very long time. Do I regret it? Absolutely not.

But it's time for the truth: Jonny & I are expecting a baby. If you think I'm joking, call me up and mention the word "Tums" or "Poppyseed Dressing". I promise you'll hear a convincing amount of gagging, if not some dry heaving.
The official due date is July 22, although I haven't had an ultrasound yet, so things could (and probably will) get shifted around a bit. This will make me officially 15 weeks along tomorrow--which means week #2 of my second trimester, for the pregnancy ignorant.

FAQs:
Was this a surprise? Nope. We were actually hoping for a May baby so we could be cheap and have one giant party, but the baby apparently didn't approve. Granted, we would have been fine if the baby waited until AFTER Disneyland to show up, but Marah was very forgiving.

Have I had morning sickness?
Absolutely. Admittedly, I never threw up, but before you start scoffing, realize that I was nauseous 24/7. None of this "morning" crap. Thank heaven for ginger ale and saltines. I finally figured out that as long as I ate every hour, on the hour, life was manageable. Which made Disneyland exciting.

Any weird food cravings/aversions? Besides the two mentioned previously, not really. I have noticed that food tastes different to me now. Not necessarily bad, but not the way I remember it tasting. I've eaten a lot of potatoes, toast, pasta, and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Other pregnancy joys? You bet. I can smell cigarette smoke and garlic from miles away. My beloved Mexican food gives me painfully horrid heartburn. I can easily sleep for 10-12 hours a day and still be tired at night. I get lovely headaches for no reason. Oh, and I've turned into an idiot. Why didn't you people warn me that pregnancy makes you brain-dead?

Boy or Girl?
We will unabashedly tell you that we're hoping for a girl. Baby, if you're a boy, we apologize in advance. Actually, I'll just be thrilled if there's only one baby in there. FYI: Official ultrasound is happening Feb. 19th, so I'll (hopefully) let you know then.

Are you showing yet? Curse you, short abdomen! Let's just say I've been horribly bloated since week 7. Do I look pregnant? Yes. Is what you're seeing the baby? Nope. I've only gained 4 pounds so far, and they were all gained in the past month. Basically, I think I look huge, but no one at church has said a word.

Yes, we are excited. I have to admit, though, that I'm also generally terrified. There's no going back from here--once a mommy, always a mommy. This sounds horrible, but I'm still not really baby hungry. My friends and relatives reassure me that I do, in fact, have maternal instincts and that they will kick in eventually. I guess I've just thought about this way too much. I don't think you're ever really READY to have a child. In our case, at least, it's been a definite "leap of faith" (as Jon says). Lest you think I'm a horrible mommy-to-be, let me just say that the terror has been waning and the excitement growing. I haven't felt any movements yet, but I'm so excited for that day to come. Hearing the heartbeat is amazing and definitely made things seem more real. Plus, I can at least count on the fact that Jon will be a great dad. His magical "make babies fall asleep" powers better work on our own kids, dang it!

So there. I confess. And I meant to have Jonny take a picture of my tummy last night, but I forgot. You'll get one soon.

8 comments:

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

Megan, I am so excited for you!Being a mommy is the best, and you'll make a great one. Good job on lying to everyone for so long. I only lasted about three hours after I found out even though I swore I would wait three months.

AnnEE said...

I'm so excited for you!!!!

Don't worry about not being "baby hungry". I never had that mysterious strong bond with my child while I was pregnant. To be honest, I was annoyed with him because I was so uncomfortable because he was so long and up in my business. However, the second I had him and he came out into the world, I was obsessed with him. It's crazy and a little bit scary how much you love them with each passing day.

Getting pregnant was a giant leap of faith for us, too. I wasn't baby hungry, but we knew that it was the right thing to do, and it was the best, most wonderful decision we've ever made!

I also wanted a girl. Boys, however, ROCK. Except you have to be really careful when you change their diaper, and no, he's never peed in my mouth. I'm sooo excited for you!!!

Oh, and you should feel you're little grapefruit kicking around within the next 2-3 weeks!!

Holly said...

CONGRATULTIONS Megan! We are so excited for you! Very surprised, but very excited! :) Sorry about the whole 24/7 nauseous feeling...is it starting to go away? And how were you able to wait so long to tell everyone?! You will be a GREAT mom! Congratulations!

Kristina said...

Congrats! Don't feel bad about being scared--I'm sure that's a natural reaction! In fact, every month I think I'm pregnant, and I always freak out and pray that I'm not. So you're doing better than me.
And you'll make a great mom! SO excited for you!

Alisse Baldwin said...

Ahem, I'm sorry, did you just say that YOU'RE PREGNANT???!!! SO exciting! We always knew you'd be first- I'm just suprised all of us (Kris, you, Mo, me) are at least married. YAY YAY YAY!!!

Megan Turnidge said...

CONGRATULATIONS Megan! Babies are so precious (especially when it's your own baby)! Sorry about your nausea... that's horrible! Anyways, I'm sure you'll be a terrific mommy. And hopefully you have a baby as sweet as mine! :)

Ali said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my - the sunshine news of my day. Congratulations! I really enjoyed the details of this post. Your way with words coincides with my funny bone and find myself constantly smiling if not laughing out loud as I read your posts! You described my morning sickness experience perfectly along with the other symptoms. I'm excited for future reports!

Adrian said...

So you've got bionic nose, too? And has your hair started doing anything interesting? Mine gets really thick and lustrous when I'm pregnant.

Oh, and the absent-mindedness- I forgot (ha ha) to tell you that you're also going to be clumsy, more so as you get further along, knocking things over and dropping stuff. That, however, does get better after the baby arrives, unlike the spaciness.

Wait until month eight when you turn around and bonk your belly on the doorframe, or worse, some unsuspecting person in front of you in the checkout line.

Pregnancy is full of indignities.

And you may not be baby hungry, but when it's YOUR BABY, your feelings are different. You'll be fine. :-) And good job being brave to jump out into the unknown. It's a pretty big unknown! That takes courage!