Dear girlfriends who have had babies,
Is it normal for me to be 37.5 weeks pregnant and NOT have my OBGYN do an internal exam? Cause I'm thinking it's not. And it makes me nervous, especially if this baby decides to come early (like Jennie's did, the lucky girl).
Please help!
Love, Paranoid first time mom Megan
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Is this normal?
at 3:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
It all depends on the doctor. I didn't have an internal exam until my 38 weeks appointment, which was the day I delivered my baby, but some of my friends have them at every appointment from 36 weeks on. Count your blessings you have not had one yet cause they hurt like "bleep...bleepappty...bleep". Trust me on that one.
I had to beg for one at 39 weeks and I was actually IN LABOR when they finally did it, but I still had to plead.
So, I guess, yes, it is normal for them to neglect poor pregnant people who want to hear those magical words "three centimeters dialated, could come any time!"
I am excited for you! =)
That is very normal. My doctor didn't check until 39 weeks. Plus they also base it on if you've had any contractions, if you haven't been contracting at all, it's unlikely you're effaced or dilated at all. The exams are really uncomfortable so the less they do them the better, trust me, you'll appreciate that they only do it when really necessary. Don't worry, the kid won't come out without fair warning. :)
My doctor did the first internal exam at 36 weeks and another at 38. The one at 38 was optional. I'd just ask your OB/GYN for one. They're nice to know how you're progressing but not essential. You can start dilating and then stay stuck on a number for awhile or you can jump quickly. If you want I can give you more details about going into labor and being in labor (you sounded interested on my blog). Just email me your phone number and let me know the times of day you're available and I'll give you a call soon!
For the sake of curiosity, I'd be dying to know my stats. However, due to the unpleasant nature of the exam, I'd feel slightly grateful.
I'm sure if you requested one, they'd go ahead and do it? I had my baby at 37.5 weeks... my first internal was at 35 weeks, which was nice because I had a heads up that he may come early...
This sounds like an oxi-moron, but honestly, the more you relax, the less they uncomfortable the exam's are. It's hard to relax in that setting, but if you can distract yourself with some random topic of conversation or thought, it's better.
When I started having weekly appointments, they started doing internal exams at those every time. Not that it made any difference to me since I had to get induced with both kids. :) Everyone else is right- your baby is not going to suddenly arrive without warning, so I wouldn't worry too much about it!
I think the weekly exams started at 37 weeks for me. Don't stress about not having it... that was the worst part ever! ;) Ugh. Plus, it's no fun hearing... oh, only 2 cm...
Post a Comment