As I type this, Seth is sitting next to me pretending he's hungry when really he's just sleepy. We're working on that, although he pretty much just gets whatever he wants.
It's been a week now, and we're still alive. We look slightly zombified still, but we're functioning. Jon actually went to church (just sacrament meeting). Seth and I aren't up for that kind of fun yet.
That first night home with him was the worst. It could have been lots of factors, but I'm pretty sure at least half the problem came from me eating a chocolate chip cookie that day. It was delicious, but there was definitely more chocolate than cookie in there. I should have known better, considering he'd spent the last 9 months kicking me whenever I ate sugar. Let's just say it's not a mistake I'll be making again. Jon was amazing that night--he took him downstairs and walked him for hours so I could sleep (I was in tears by that point--it was 4 am and he hadn't slept at all).
(In case you're wondering, Seth won this round. So 40 minutes later he's fed, asleep, and I'm back).
It turns out that first night was a fluke. Ever since then he's been an AMAZING baby. We never hear him cry unless I wait a bit too long to feed him, and then it's more like a squawk. Half the time I still have to wake him up to feed him. He goes to bed around 10:30, I wake him up to feed him around 2:30 am, then he wakes up again to eat at 6:30 am (newborns can't go more than 4 hours without eating, darn it. Otherwise he'd probably sleep all night). In other words, I can't complain about sleep--most new parents have it much worse.
We took him to the pediatrician on Tuesday, and he'd actually gained an ounce instead of the usual newborn weight loss. Unfortunately, they were worried about jaundice since his bruising was so bad, so they had to prick his heel. He's got a good set of lungs when he wants to use them, poor guy! Sadly, the results came back a bit high, so we had to take him to get his heel pricked AGAIN on Thursday. Luckily everything is fine. He just gets to do a little sunbathing to get some Vitamin D.
Things are sort of settling down. He kind of has a schedule, and I'm getting used to his signals for "feed me." Even though I feel like I'm nursing ALL DAY LONG, I'm trying to get some things done in between sessions.As we all secretly know, the real reason we have kids is for entertainment purposes. We don't actually own a baby comb (or baby bath stuff yet, oops), so Jon has been using his whiskers to comb Seth's hair. So far he has three do's--regular, old man comb-over, and mohawk.
In response to my last post, I feel like I need to do a bit of repenting. I realized last night that people in our ward have let us borrow a ton of clothes, sold us baby stuff for way cheap, and GIVEN us a jogging stroller, crib, and NICE dresser. Would I rather have those things than a meal every night for a week? Yes. So no more whining from me.
My mom and Beth get here tomorrow evening. I'm excited, although I don't plan on being very entertaining. I'm leaving that up to Seth. Now to go make some lunch before Jon gets home!
Sunday, July 20, 2008
One week down...18 years to go
at 9:44 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Megan he is absolutely beautiful (not a super masculine word, but look at him)! My advice on your super sleepy baby during the night. I would only give it a few more weeks and then let him sleep until he wakes up and is hungry. I always say NEVER wake a sleeping baby. But that is just my advice and I'm sure you are getting more that you want...your the mommy, do what you want.
Oh baby Seth. How I love you. And how I hope my kids are half as cute as that lil' face of yours.
My advice is similar to the previous posters- our pediatrician told us to let Max sleep at night- she said that he would wake up when he was hungry enough and as long as he was eating regularly during the day we might as well enjoy the long sleep times at night!! But you do whatever you think is best.
Seth looks like such a cutie, and I'm so glad that he's being such a good baby for you and breaking you in easy. I wish I could come hold him. I know Yoroko would love him! (Max would probably try to claw his eyes out, nothing personal, just his getting-acquainted habit.) And you know Spencer and I would cook for you if we were there!! I'll have to see if we can send you soup in a jar or something. :)
That's funny that you said it was nice to be by yourself with your baby at the beginning- Mindy and Nathan did the same thing, and I'm wondering if that is a better way to begin than to start with Grandma there too.
And I'd also just like to say- enjoy this as much as you can. Because you won't ever, ever have this opportunity again. Even if you do have more kids, you won't be able to completely focus on and love and enjoy them, because Seth will be around wanting mommy love too. So this is the only time you get to spend all your love on one baby- enjoy it!!
Post a Comment