Thursday, July 31, 2008

Whose child is this, anyway?

Today was Seth's 2 week appointment (although he's technically 2.5 weeks). Last Tuesday he weighed in at 7 pounds, 11 ounces, so we were betting he was somewhere in the 8 to 8.5 pound range.

Try 8 pounds, 12 ounces. From a birthweight of 6 pounds, 15 ounces. That's a whopping ounce and a half gain EVERY DAY. At least he grew another inch, so it's not all going straight to his cheeks.

It's been an exciting couple of weeks with Grandma and Aunt Bethany here to help. It's been so nice to wake up to a clean kitchen every morning, and to have my laundry all done and folded for me. The best part has been having someone to talk to while Jon is at work (and someone to hold Seth while I eat). I'm not excited for next Tuesday--my first full day as a stay-at-home mom.

All of you who mentioned what a nice schedule Seth has can feel free to retract your comments. His new schedule is: eat EVERY two hours. Sometimes he wants to eat after an hour. Rarely he makes it two and a half hours. Which means I get an hour and a half of sleep MAX between feedings at night. It's exhausting. The pediatrician said he should start sleeping longer once he reaches 10 pounds (which could be next week at the rate he's going).

He successfully ejected his umbilical cord, and survived his first bath with a surprisingly small amount of crying (his second and third baths have been much more traumatic). He also went to his first sacrament meeting, although we arrived late and took him out early so no one could touch him. He behaved very nicely (meaning he slept the entire time).

Jon is back at work this week, so Seth is sleeping in his own room. Which means I'm stumbling down the hall 5 or 6 times every night to grab him before he starts screaming. Someday I'll take a picture of his nursery, now that my mom has totally organized it for me.

That's basically life right now: nursing and sleeping. I'm excited for him to be more interactive--he's just started going cross-eyed trying to focus on our faces when we talk to him. It's adorable, and hilarious.

2 and a half months until "baby boot camp" is over, right Adrian? I think I can make it... It's amazing how much one little snuggle or smile (yes, I know it's just gas, but still) can make all those 3:30 am feedings worth it.

5 comments:

Megan Turnidge said...

WOW! He is a good eater! Grow baby, groooow! :)

Don't worry, he'll stop being hungry so often pretty soon. Allie was eating about every two hours too at the beginning... then by about 3 weeks she started waking up only 2x a night to eat... then at 7 weeks she would sleep a full 7-8 hours! It can happen all the sudden, so just because he's waking up a lot now, next week he might be lots better!

Glad to hear having company is good for you. I didn't have anyone come and help me... my sis came for about 3 hours one day but that was it. I think I might have been annoyed if someone was there "interfering"/"helping"... lol!

Jen Bowen said...

I can sympathize with the feedings every 2 hours or less. I guess I don't need to be jealous of the sleep you're getting. I hope once they hit 10 pounds they don't need to eat as often. Seth looks great in the pictures. Congrats again!

Adrian said...

Glad to hear that Seth is packing on the pounds! Those fat cheeks are adorable. So funny that he gets cross-eyed trying to see you. Hang in there- it feels like forever, but remember that really it's only three months. And then you'll really start to get to the fun stuff!

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

Dear Seth,

You are an adorable little baby, and I'm sure you mommy loves every moment she gets to spend with you. HOWEVER, she needs her sleep so she can continue to love you and be kind to you. You should consider eating more at each feeding so you can let her sleep longer in between. I know it's tough being a little baby and you are doing your best, but you will quickly learn that when mama is well-rested and happy everyone else is happy too.

Love,

Amber

Holly said...

Oh Megan, he is so cute! I love the pictures! I'm sorry his schedule has changed--hopefully it will get better soon! Glad it's been good for you to have your family there, and good luck when they leave! I'd love to see pictures of the nursery when you get a chance. You are a great mom--keep hanging in there!