Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Things I Don't Want to Forget

Today was my first official day as a stay-at-home mom. My mom and Beth left yesterday, and Jon went into work this morning at 6 am. (I'll blog about Mom & Beth's visit when Mom sends me the DC pictures).

Seth will be 4 weeks old on Saturday, and I can't believe it. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation, but time is going way too fast. Sometimes he doesn't even look like a newborn anymore. So before I forget, here are some things I want to remember about you, Seth:

*Your graceful ballerina arm motions, which Jon calls your "interpretive dancing."

*The way you squeal like a piglet when you nurse.

*How you're supposed to be awake for just a few minutes out of every hour, but you'd rather be awake for hours on end.

*Your fat face (see picture).

*How you faceplant into Jon's chest when you're too tired to lift your head while he burps you.

*How you have to do these dramatic stretches after you're done nursing.

*How funny you look with that big pacifier in your mouth (and how grateful I am that you'll take it so I don't have to be your pacifier).

*How you make little snoring sounds while you're sleeping.

*How you always wake up totally ticked off, like I haven't fed you in days (regardless of whether it's been just
one hour or three).

*How you insist on keeping your fists by your face while you nurse. This is incredibly frustrating for both of us, as you keep trying to eat them instead of latching on. But heaven forbid I should try to move them...

*How you peed all over yourself during your second week at church (and how I forgot to bring a change of clothes, so you finished out sacrament meeting in a diaper and blanket).

*How good you smell.

*When you were just born, you would do this thing I called "the plecostomus." You would latch on, then just sit there and look up at me like "There. I latched on. Now see if you can make me eat."

*How you only like certain songs that your swing plays--Pachelbel's Canon is acceptable, "Rock-a-bye, Baby" is not.

*How when you're falling asleep, you'll keep opening your eyes up a tiny bit to make sure we're still there
watching you.

*How you hardly ever cry. I can tell if you're starting to get angry because you'll do the "sniffy face" and then yelp at me.

*Your "I'm bored, pay attention to me!" squeal


I'm still counting down the weeks until he starts sleeping in longer chunks during the night, but I'm sad to see the newborn phase passing so soon. I'm so grateful I get to be home with him so I can enjoy it (and so I can nap when he does).

7 comments:

Brian and Kenna said...

his fat face picture looks like one we have of jon! haha... So photogenic!

Jamie said...

I can't believe how many of these are exactly the same as my baby . . . especially the hands on the face as he tries to nurse and the stretches afterward. . . they are growing up fast huh! Glad to hear things are going well . . . lets hear it for longer sleeping during the night!!

Adrian said...

Thanks for sharing. When I was pregnant with Yoroko, someone gave me a journal to keep for her- not a baby book, but a journal with lined pages, and told me that I was only going to remember what I wrote down. So true! I'm a journal writer by nature, and that journal has already been so wonderful to look back through and re-read. I'm glad you get a chance to enjoy Seth.

Christy said...

Dear Megan,
Don't be ridiculous.
Love, Warnick.

PS, this post was absolutely adorable.

Holly said...

I can't wait to be a mom and experience all these things with my own son! Thanks for posting them. Hopefully it will help me appreciate all the little things in the first few weeks. I really wish you lived closer so that I could see you and Seth!

Cori said...

Things I do want to forget
1. When Q's "super poop" shot out of his naked bum all over me.

Megan Turnidge said...

Sweet post, Megan! They grow up way too fast. But, luckily, each stage has it's own joys!