Sunday, August 17th was Seth's official blessing day. Wendy, Jocelyn, Seth, my slacker sisters and I showed up just for sacrament meeting. Everyone else was righteous and went for all three hours.
Knowing that today, if any, would be the day Seth first blew out his diaper, I didn't dress him in his outfit until we got to church. And, of course, we were running a little late. I was frantically trying to get him dressed in the mother's room when the meeting started. Seth was less than thrilled about his outfit, but he settled down fairly quickly. That is, until he decided he needed to eat. Of course. Luckily I had brought a bottle for him.
This, of course, would be the Sunday with hardly any announcements/callings, so Seth was NOT done eating when it was time to go up. We deftly exchanged the bottle for the pacifier, and up they went.
The circle was small--just my dad, Jon's dad, Daniel, Bishop Brady, and Jon. Jon gave a very sweet blessing--it made me all teary. Seth even cooperated until the end, when he apparently lost his pacifier (although my mom thinks it had more to do with his blessing mentioning marriage at that moment).
Seth snuggled with his dad for the rest of the meeting, which is always adorable. He even survived the ride home in his outfit (which was so cute--thank you Grandma/Mom!). What was even more amazing was that he survived family pictures in his outfit. It was really bright outside, so Seth looks like a celestial baby in half the pictures (either that or you can't see him against Jon's shirt).We had a nice lunch of sandwiches, potato/pasta salad, veggies, and Dad Blood's tomatoes. Oh, Dad Blood's tomatoes. I could write a whole post just on how delicious they are...
It was so much fun to have both of our families together at our house, so it was sad to see all the Bloods leave right after lunch. It was a wonderful day, although we wish that all of our family could have been there to celebrate with us.
Just for the sake of posterity: Jon thought Seth looked like a Shakespearean man in his blessing outfit. I, however, thought he more closely resembled a drunk 19th century poet--but only when his little vest was unbuttoned.
Once again, more details on my mom's blog.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Blessing Day
at 10:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm so glad everything turned out well! The whole "making-sure-he's-fed-so-he's-not-screaming" and "waiting-until-the-last-minute-to-put-on-his-outfit-so-he-doesn't-have-a-blowout" are things that I've only recently realized are stressful things on the blessing day. Silly me--I used to think the only stressful thing would be making sure my hair looks good and getting there on time! :) (I think I'm probably in for a big surprise!) By the way, Seth looks darling in his little outfit. So cute!
Always be prepared for the worst case scenario... hugely important lesson! Well done!
As always, you crack me up. I'm glad you had a special day.
I like the little Shakespearian outfit. It is the one from the distribution center, right? Charlie wore it too. Except when we bought it, we didn't know we were going to have a giant for a baby, so we couldnt button anything up...
Everything looks like it went smoothly and everyone looks precious. You look great!
Love the Shakespeare outfit! Even the best-laid plans are sometimes derailed, so I'm glad it all turned out so well.
Hope your three days on your own didn't drag on too long! It is so hard when you never get a break, and especially when they're so little they don't even talk to you!
He looks really cute, and definitely 19th century poet. I love the grumpy face- I'm not sure what I'm doing here, and what is this thing around my neck? I love listening to dads bless babies. I wish we could have been there for yours.
Post a Comment